Air Conditioned Shop?

Page 2 of 3

Actually, you can have TOO large an air conditioner. If the unit is too big, it'll cool down to your set temperature is so short a time that it doesn't get a chance to remove the humidity. I think my AC is just on the edge of too big, because on some days it is cool but a little clammy.
Just my 2 cents...
Les
LesT wrote:

Good point - but in the area around Sacramento CA it's generally pretty dry when it gets hot. Right now it's 81 degrees and the humidity is 41%. It's expected to get to 96 at around 5PM and the humidity will probably be 25% by then.
Where are you located?
The garage is 22 x 30, but the ceiling is 11 feet, so its the equivalent of a 900 sq ft room with an 8-ft ceiling. One supplier's system-size calculator is telling me I need a 1.6-ton unit, and my experience with the 12000-BTU unit I used before is that I should err toward larger, not smaller. Also, since I'm working with guitars, I don't want the air too dry anyway.
--Steve

I've had that problem, Les...
The AC unit doesn't shut of, though, the fan stays on, which helps a bit..
On a few very wet days, I've used the DRY setting, but I understand that it doubles the electricity usage because you're running both the heat and AC?
Works very well, though...
BTW: water is, of course, rationed here, so I have a gallon pail under the drain pipe outside the shop.. Set at 30 C, it fills the pail about once an hour and that waters most of the plants and keeps the wife's fountain full..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

I have a 24x38 foot shop running a 1-1/2 ton AC and it just barely keeps up. Today I started the AC at noon, and it has run steady all afternoon, 3:50 PM right now. It has slowly dropped the temp from 78F down to 73F so far. So in reality it is sized just right! With a 22x30 foot shop with reasonable insulation I would go with a 1-1/2 ton AC. Bigger and it will not dehumidify. You are actually better to run the hell out of a slightly undersized unit than to go oversize. I used to have a window shaker for AC. It would not keep up, but the shop was still pretty comfortable with the low humidity. Greg
Steve.. Because my shop is indoors in a new house, it probably won't help you much, but here goes..
Good part:
Because my wife is a LOT smarter than I am, we (ok, she) decided that instead of the shop being in a detached garage, it would be a large room IN the house...
The house is built of "Dura Wall", which is sort of like cinder block but made of cement and foam, and in larger blocks.. it's a very good insulation.. The ceiling is layered, from the top down, with cement, foam (6"), cement and foam.. The windows and door glass are double pane and the mini splits (4 total) were installed by the builder and Trane..
Not so good part:
Because part of why we moved to Baja is the Sea of Cortez, the shop has three 5' x 4' windows and a set of multi-pane french doors, with 2 windows facing the sea.. (East) What we didn't factor in was the morning sun.... The West side of the house has few windows and a veranda to for shade, because we did figure that the afternoon sun would be very hot.. I've had to put roll down plastic shades (the kind like they tint car windows with) on the windows and make sure that I put them down by 6 am or the shop gets VERY warm...
Mexican contractors trying to build gringo style houses seem to have a lot of trouble getting things like door and window opening square and getting a good fit for the aluminum windows... lots of gaps and binds and tons of silicon, their solution to a loose fit... heat and wind DOES get in...
9' ceilings are very nice in a shop, but trap a lot of hot air.. need to install a bathroom type vent high on a wall, I think..
Hope something in there helped..

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Mac;
Thanks for the details - yes it does help to understand the context.
We're in the middle of moving into this house, and I'm working on getting the workshop set up - it's great to be able to start from scratch and design the layout and set up a real dust collection system this time. I've also ordered an air filtration system (the $189 Grizzly) to hang in there
The house is three years old, and seems to be very well insulated - even the attached garage, in which I'm using one of the three bays as my principal workshop area. The garage ceiling is 11 ft, and the whole garage is dry-walled on the inside, with stucco on the exterior walls and concrete tile on the roof.
We've had some pretty hot weather already, but this garage seems to be slow to get hot inside - the only day it was unbearably hot in there was when the outside temp hit 108 F earlier this week. On cooler days (in the 90's) last weekend I was able to work on setting up the shop with a large oscillating fan to keep me from getting overheated.
But once I get back into some serious guitar-building, I'm gonna need to air-condition this space, and a mini-split system seems to be the way to go. I tried a 12000-BTU window-type in the old garage, and it was just not up to the job - it could do no better than to maintain the temp in the low-to-mid 80's.
--Steve

Cool... I was afraid that I was boring you to death... lol

Something else that I should have mentioned... I'll be adding an exhaust fan high on one wall, since I can't vent through a concrete roof...
If you can get the warm air out of the ceiling space before you turn on the AC, it's much more efficient..
Right now I'm using a small desk-size fan, in an 11" wide board that a window closes on... I had the fan on a shelf at the bottom of the window but the air blowing out was too cool, so I moved it to the top of the window and the exhaust is warmer... Still, the top of the window is about 3 1/2 feet from the ceiling, so I'll bore a hole in the block wall and mount a fan there with pretty louvers and all.. *g*

Enjoy the shop, Steve.... This is my 5th or 6th shop, and the first one that wasn't in a garage, shared by water heater, washer & dryer, family junque, etc... What a luxury!
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

Sounds like a great idea - I'm going to look into that too.

I DO have to share space with the water heater, a refreigerator & freezer, and some household storage. And a car, since my wife will be parking her car in there once we get everything organized. And the city has this ordinance that requires that space for vehicles be maintained when operating a home business, so I can't permanently expand and take over the entire garage.
Thanks again for the info & advice!
--Steve
Steve wrote:

G'day Steve, I'd agree with Mac's thinking on an exhaust fan up high. I have a corrugated iron shed, about 40 x 24 with 9' walls and a pitch height of 12'. Putting a whirly bird "wind powered exhaust fan" at the very top of the roof helped heaps. The walls are now insulated and the roof about half way and I have an evaporative air con in the wall. Humidity is not a problem in Kalgoorlie. however temperatures range from -4 to 48c.
all the best John

Must be that ale ya been drinking...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
My shop is in the basement also. I have to close the vents in the summer because it gets a little to cool.
Ted

Mississippi in the summer. High heat. High humidity. No AC. It's not supposed to be that way?
Frank
"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

Houston. Same, same. Sam's. Honkin' BIG fan ... or three. That's the way it must be.
(Actually, it if doesn't stop raining soon, I'm more worried about high water in the shop than heat.)
... and there it goes again. :(
It's always something ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Box fan in a window, ceiling fan, lots of shade trees, I get by fine.
Wish you could send that rain here. Severe drought. Only three rains since 20th of May, but one of them this morning. Can't figure out where the humidity is coming from. And the mosquitos.
Going to break the drought though. Break ground on the shop expansion. When I poured the slab for the original shop, Dec. '90 it rained every weekend day until April. I got so frustrated, I framed it one weekend in the rain.
Farmers around here will thank me.
Frank
"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message

Yep ... that's _exactly_ why it's raining here. I've been waiting to pour a foundation on a new housing start for three weeks! The rain will just not let up.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Frank... Our contractor was going to put 2 ceiling fans in the shop, but I went for more ceiling outlets instead... My feeling was that the ceiling fans would blow dust and crap all over the shop and hamper the flow of the jet filter..
Do you run it in reverse to avoid that, or what?
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 09:35:18 -0700, mac davis

No I run it in forward and it (dust blowing) hasn't been a problem. My shop has a vaulted ceiling with a four foot wide flat at the top.
I was worried about the same thing, but when remodeling left me with one surplus ceiling fan I decided to put it up. I prewired the boxes in the ceiling when I built the shop, anticipating a couple of air cleaners. Ended up with one air cleaner and the ceiling fan. If they fight each other I haven't noticed it. The air cleaner pre-filter seems to load up just as fast as it did without the ceiling fan.
Frank

Good to know... We brought down a very nice ceiling fan with lights, remote, etc.... Being the wrong color/style, the wife wouldn't allow it in the house and is in a box someplace... I think I'll try it!
My recliner was the wrong color, too.. a major blow to an ol' fart like me... Finally found a large striped blanket at a local vendor that she liked, so I got to keep my "newly decorated" recliner... lol
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 16:55:50 -0500, Frank Boettcher

I saw the biggest bug I've _EVER_ seen in MS.
Back in my sound guy daze, I was working for one night in Jackson, MS. The grand opening of the North-something mall, with Beatlemania. After the show, we went to some bar where people could drive boats right in. I could just imagine people drowning in the place and not being found until the next morning.
There was a beetle the size of a 33 1/3 record or Frisbee (At least it looked that big to ME!) walking across the parking lot at us. I ran the other way! <G>
For the other weird stories, there was a bar near a Christian college in Rock Hill, SC (my daddy makes me go here...), called Plum Crazy, the Art Deco District of Miami, SUNY Corning, or Front Street in Bermuda...
"> SUNY Corning
Please explain. I hope you don't mean Corning,NY
Allen