Air Conditioned Shop?

Page 1 of 3
To all of in an air-conditioned shop: YOU SUCK!!!
Sweaty in High Point.
--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com
Stoutman wrote:

Mine is in the basement too, but I have a walk-out basement with a double doors opening to a 6-foot opening. Plus, I have a window, great for sharpening. Prior to that, my "shop" was in my apartment living room! Sawdust in carpeting is not all that easy to remove.

So are you saying that your shop would be more comfortable if it had no A/C?

Whiner! Greg (one of the guys with AC in the shop!)

I actually put in actual A/C in the shop this year but I haven't had a chance to get out and enjoy it yet. Window air conditioners are cheap, why not pick one up and you can stop sweating?

Thank you.
My Man Garage came with heat (essential in Minnesota) but it didn't have air conditioning, and I thought it woodn't need it, but I had a window unit from the previous place, so I put it in. I found out that it couldn't keep the Man Garage at low enough humidity in the summer months, so I added another air conditioner. I run it whenever the humidity gets to 65 percent or so, which keeps the temperature at around 70 degrees -- about right for anything I want to do out there, including woodworking and wrenching on motorcycles . . . .
--
The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something
right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong

Stoutman wrote:

I lived all my life in California until 18 years ago - I'm 55. I had a shop in my 1 car garage for years. We moved to Florida, I bought a new Powermatic table saw and took over the 2 car garage for my new business to be, cabinets and furniture. I got my first commission in July - the double 90's. Just couldn't handle it, so I went into computers instead.
15 years later, I remarried - this time to a nice southern girl. She finally told me what others never did. You can put an AC in the window of a garage!
So now I have a new house, my workshop is in the garage, and I have the biggest window ac I could fit!
As Borat would say, "very nice!"
Harvey
eclipsme wrote:

When you are married to a nice southern girl, you NEED air conditioning.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
Gerald Ross wrote:

lol! That's a fact.
Harvey

Nice and cool in Canuckistan (with AC)
Fri, Jul 6, 2007, 3:51pm@. (Stoutman) doth lament: To all of in an air-conditioned shop: YOU SUCK!!! Sweaty in High Point.
Boy, you can sure tell I have a different view of all this then you guys.
I've got a in the window of my shop;. sucks air in, blows out thru the door; with a breeze going I can ignore the heat. Trees shading the shop, probably helps. If the fan dies, I'd have to stop work, until I got another.
Haven't even turned the house A/C on this year. Probably because it died sometime between last year and the year before, and I've not bothered to replace it yet. LOL Fan in the front window, window in the back door open aout 6", somethimes the front door open, sometmes it's closed, ignore the heat. Usually only turn the A/C on during Aug, and/or Sep, andyway. And then only for a day or two a a time, then it's back to the fan in the window.
Some heat in winter is the important part.

Eh. When it's zero degrees (32 below freezing), I can still work in my garage pretty well. But sweltering in it on a 105-degree day (and hotter in the garage) is too much for me!
steve
Steve Wolfe wrote:

Old maxim: You can always put on enough to stay warm but can never take off enough to keep cool!
OTOH, if you have a shop with adequate heat and cooling... Nirvana!<g>
Unquestionably Confused wrote: <<<<< SNIPPAGE >>>>>>>>>>

You may not be able to move, but you can get warm

TMI!!! TMI!!!
Wayne

Do you have decent ceilings and windows? Then YOU SUCK! <G>
I backed into an air conditioned shop, as it's the walk-out basement under the air conditioned house. Open the door, and the cool air falls down the stairs, into the basement, and out the back door.
The rest of the time, it's still a dank basement...

I've got two window units in my shop, about 12,000 Btus short of what I need, so I have to start them up the night before, preferably just before I fall asleep, to have a cool shop the next day. Then, if it's not over about 86-87, they work. Right now, with temperatures in the high 80s and low to mid 90s, forget it. By noon, the shop is uninhabitable, at least for fat elderly types.

Damn, Charlie... that one hurt! lol And here I was agreeing with Bill Grumbine about needing a "turning muscle" before you said that..
I've got a 2 ton "mini split" in the shop, and only a 22 x 18' area to cool, so it works pretty well, until manual labor is involved...
I turn it on in the morning a bit after sunrise, same time that I roll down the reflective shades over the East-facing windows.. usually set at 28 or 29 C, (low 80's F) it works well for light work, friends and clients over and stuff like that, but to keep from standing at the lathe in a puddle of sweat I'd probably have to set it at about 75f... and I'm way too cheap to do that, even with the low electricity prices here..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

Is your shop insulated? I've been thinking about installing a mini-split in my shop, which is also my garage. It's approx 22 x 30, but seems to be insulated, because it resists heating up on hot days pretty well - better than the garage in the old house, which heated up fast and stayed that way, even after I installed foam panels in the garage door two years ago. I had a 12000-BTU window-type AC that managed to keep the shop down to 85 F on hot days - not quite good enough for this fat old guitar builder. :-(
Anyway, I was considering a 1.5-ton unit, but based on your comment I'm thinking I'd better get the 2-ton unit.
Also, did you install it yourself, or did you have an AC contractor do it?
--Steve