Air Compressors

Page 2 of 2

Keep the small compressor. You will probably want a bigger one for spraying, but having a portable compressor is handy too. You will need a minimum of 5 CFM @ 100 for spraying, 10 CFM @ 100 psi would be optimal. I have done allot of painting with a 2 HP, twenty gallon compressor. It works, but you need to take a break more often! I have a Porter Cable 60 gallon, plus a small 7 gallon, 3/4 HP, I cobbled togather from some spare parts. I use them both enough that I would not part with either of them. Greg
On 16 Jun 2004 08:16:21 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (KirkH) calmly ranted:

Try the 4.5hp (yeah, right, on 120v) HF compressor at $159 on sale. It provides a lot more air than I'm used to (old 1hp and old tankless 3/4hp Rand) and should power a spray gun if I'm not painting my entire truck in one pass. The little 18ga brad nailers @ $15 and 1/4" crown staplers @ $24 on sale are decent, too. If I were using any of these professionally, I'd want to spend a lot more money on a much larger compressor and tools which would stand up to constant daily use. But I'm not so my screaming wallet is happier without all those crowbars coming at it, knowwhatImean,Vern?
- Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm). ----------- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
(snip)

Well, just to let you know you might want to check out the local HF store. At the one closest to me in Allentown PA, they are selling that model for $99 until 6/28. Caveat: the one I bought only lasted about 10 minutes of motor time before it died. They took it right back, and gave me my $ back. I probably would have gotten another one, but they were out of stock, so I picked up the one with the 8 gal tank that looked like it used the same motor (only 2hp on the label, and nothing in it to say how many amps it uses).

        Todd
calmly ranted:

             Next time ADD OIL FIRST! =:0
Are you referring to the model 47065?
Other than the early model's aluminum popoff tube breaking prematurely from vibration (and HF going to a copper line) I've heard of no problems with them.
--== May The Angst Be With You! ==-- -Yoda, on a bad day -- http://diversify.com Ending Your Web Page Angst.

You mean like I did...using the 30wt non-detergent oil the manual called for and paying attention to the 5 different warning stickers on the compressor?

That is the one.

Well now you have. I actually think it was the pressure sensor switch that went on it....but given their warranty, it wasn't worth playing around with it.

If you are going to buy tools from Harbor Freight, it might be well to heed some advice given to me by my 99 year old mother when I was still in high school.
She said, "Son, if you insist on playing with chicken shit, you are bound to get some on you".
Lew
I would be rather hesitant to buy something as potently hazardous as a compressor from a company that is known for low end junk.

heed

Where is your sense of adventure CW?

heed
Wow Lew, your mother was 99 when you were in HS? Well, If IIRC my mother musta been like 99 when I was in HS too. ;~)

When we were in high school, any woman our mother's age looked like they were 99. Never would have thought I'd be looking at 40 year olds and thinking that young woman is H O T. Perspective sure does change with age. Ed
In HS a buddy had an Uncle that was 2 weeks older than he, his father was 76! Not 99 but close!

Somebody wrote:

No, she is 99 at this point in time.
Lew
I bought a 15 gallon 3.5HP (yeah, right) for $60 out of the paper. I would recommend just keeping an eye on the classifieds and picking one up when it comes along. You can save a lot of money. I started with just a nailer, but I'm getting quite a pile of air tools now, and I'm happy to have the capacity.
-Mike