Air Compressor Tanks

My old portable compressor died yesterday. I've been looking at the emglo i.e.: Dewalt portable air compressors they have a single 4 gallon tank and the two stacked 2 gallon tanks what are the advantages or disadvantages of the different designs? Looked through Google but didn't find any specific discussion on tanks.
Having two tanks requires you to drain condensation from two tanks. Having one tank requires you to drain only one. But don't let that be a deciding factor. Other than that it is personal preference. As for Emglo, their smaller compressors are made in Mexico now that Dewalt/B&D bought them.
My old portable compressor died yesterday. I've been looking at the emglo i.e.: Dewalt portable air compressors they have a single 4 gallon tank and the two stacked 2 gallon tanks what are the advantages or disadvantages of the different designs? Looked through Google but didn't find any specific discussion on tanks.

Having
Actually, on the ones with stacked tanks, condensate accumulates in the lower tank, only requiring draining the one. Cheers Roy
I realize the two tanks are connected but the Hitachi and Bostitch twin-stack compressors have TWO drain valves--one on each tank. I'm not sure about the Dewalt/Emglo. The Bostitch is a bit clever in that it has a single cable connecting the two valves. When you pull the cable, both valves open at the same time.

??? They're _connected,_ you know... no matter which one you have you still turn only one petcock to drain the tank(s). The Emglo, (Pronounced "de-WALT"), dual-2-gallon configuration drains from a single petcock located at the bottom of the lower tank.

Since it isn't one, it shouldn't be.

Other than what?

To the original poster: The DeWalt you are considering is a fine compressor. Made in Mexico or not, it's one of the few compressors in it's class that hasn't donned Birkenstocks, started crunching granola, and turned "oil-less." I consider mine to be _very_ quiet, and it has performed flawlessly through all the abuse I've put it through during the construction of my new shop. <<-- (drive-by neener)
Hope this helps, Michael
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 02:04:00 GMT, Michael Baglio

I have a stacked dual tank compressor (cheap brand, can't recall at moment) and it has drains on both tanks. I get condensation from both of them, too. Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Someone just wrote that the Senco runs super-quietly. Might look at it.
wrote:

i.e.: Dewalt portable air compressors they have a single 4 gallon tank and the two stacked 2 gallon tanks what are the advantages or disadvantages of the different designs? Looked through Google but didn't find any specific discussion on tanks.
My old portable compressor died yesterday. I've been looking at the emglo i.e.: Dewalt portable air compressors they have a single 4 gallon tank and the two stacked 2 gallon tanks what are the advantages or disadvantages of the different designs? Looked through Google but didn't find any specific discussion on tanks.
What you should look for is ASME rated tank or tanks for safety. Avoid tanks that have refrigerator grade copper tubing from the compressor to the tank. Make sure it is good tubing. Check for air volume @ PSI so you can run air tools other than a brad nailer.
Dust Boy wrote:

No performance difference; personal preference, really.
I really liked the Dewalt single-tank design: it's compact and easy to carry around, with no parts sticking out waiting to get bent/broken. But it's expensive for its class, and the reality is I don't move my compressor all that often. Instead I bought the Hitachi, which cost about 40% less. No complaints whatsoever. Refills fast, reasonably quiet, oiled cylinder, "luggable" when necessary.
-Brett