Air compressor noise suppression

I've seen two sets of ideas for enclosing an air compressor in a plywood housing with soundboard to quieten the beast. One plan shows a box that completely engulfs the compressor, all the way down to a rubber seal on the floor with a sound baffled air intake. The other plan is much simpler and covers the compressor from mid-tank up. The air intake is from the open sides around the tank.

Has anyone done this type of sound control on their compressor? I wonder how much it affects the compressor cooling. I live in Houston where we worry about things like that.

All these woodworking books about heating the shop and woodburning stoves are absolutely foreign to us in our climate.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

I've done it. I don't know if it was wise or not due to the possible heat build-up and potential damage to the compressor, but it was either that or not use it. I put it in a plywood box using staggered 2x4's (making a 6" thick wall), insulation between the 2x4's, soundboard on the inside, sheetrock on the outside. Worked great to reduce the sound. VERY quite. I did run a 3" PVC pipe to the outside thinking that might cut down some of the heat buildup and to provide air for the compressor.

To save space in my small shop I'm going to move the compressor outside and pipe the compressed air in. In fact today I tore the box down. I had installed it permanently in a corner. Next time I'm going to build a box to fit over the top and latch it to the base.

I was very pleased with how quiet I was able to make the compressor; try it, you'll like it.

Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA

Reply to
Phisherman

Hey Bob,

You will kill your compressor this way. The number one enemy of air compressors is heat. You burn cylinders & rings, degrade your oil and toast your valves. Unless you install an industrial size exhaust fan to remove the heat, your compressor's life is going to be short.

I'd suggest a muffler. It goes on your intake where the air filter is and significantly decreases noise. I have one on my Ingersoll-Rand 242 and, while still a bit noisy, beats the hell out of killing a $3000 air compressor.

I fixed these things for a living and saw people put plywood enclosures around them and then wonder why they died.

Heat kills.

Giarc The Compressor Nazi

Reply to
Giarc