Air compressor, minimum specs??

Page 2 of 2

When I was selling the HF compressor to him, I told him that it was a POS compressor that I hated. He was not, by any means, underinformed. He wanted a compressor and did not want to spend big bucks.
As far as how does he like it, he has not yet tried it. He probably will not like it, but it will do the job that he wants it to do.
I also sold him a complete oxy acetylene welding outfit, with tanks, for $50. I do not think that he he is getting very bad deals from me.
By the way, I forgot to mention: I wouldn't buy air hose or fittings from HarborFreight. The rubber hoses are stinky and unwieldy. The fittings leaked like crazy. I got a poly type orange hose - lightweight and still very cheap. Available all over, any Sears or Home Depot, etc. Husky fittings from Home Depot didn't leak. I use a few wraps of teflon tape around threaded bits. I like Milton fittings (over time, I've found they're the best for function and longevity). I was in a hurry that day and couldn't stop the HarborFreight fittings from leaking so got the Home Depot Husky fittings as an emergency replacement. They worked fine.
Also - if you can, use a local HarborFreight and open the box before you leave the store. The first nailer had a broken case and it took a couple of kits to find one that was complete as well as unbroken. Some boxes did NOT have all the nail samples that were promised.

They are cheap though. I have two, thy are not stinky, but they are indeed unwieldy.

that was failed on me instantly.

I bought their shop crane and it was missing all washers.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I had the same question and looked at the DeWalt and King Canada site. ( http://kingcanada.com )
The nailer you want gives the correct specs. I also had a look at the spray paint bottles/guns and made a choice based on the spray gun I wish to run. So that meant at least the upper part of the consumer lines for the compressor.
e.g. Spray guns -- each with a spec... http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=401
Stapler and nailer kits -- click on specs and you will see that each gun gives an "air spec". http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=193
See the air compressors. For example the 8489 model....
http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=195
Specs.... This one is $180 CDN ($150 USD???)and can power most stuff I found....
Very similar to Rigid and dewalt models -- half the price. Probably good for heavy consumer use at least. Similar to General equipment etc...
Motor 2.5 HP/CV Air Delivery @ 40 PSI 6.78 SCFM
Air Delivery @ 90 PSI 5.29 SCFM
Tank Size 2 x 2 Gallon
Motor amperage 13.5 Amp. RPM 3,400
Voltage 60 Hz Dimensions (LxWxH)          18 x 17 x 18 Weight          62 lbs.
So can't help you specifically, cause you did not even give the class of gun/stapler, but this should give you an education...
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

The specifications don't mean anything because the manufacturers lie; usually overstating the specs by at least 100%.
However, running a nail gun does not require a very large compressor. Just don't get one without a tank.
Best regards, Bob