Air Compressor

I've had this Hausfield compressor for quite a few years. Since I've been using the crap out of it with my nail guns here to get the house done it is showing it's years. Recently I've run into trouble getting it started. I will flip the switch and it will hum and through the breaker. If I give the belt wheel some turns it will usually finally get started. It may start again the next time or it may not.

I've looked on the motor to see if there are any brushes. Don't see anywhere there are any. It has two cannisters at the top which may hold a capacitor. Could the capacitor cause a problem like this? There is oil in the compressor motor. I'm going to try and change that to see if it does any good.

Do any of you mechanical giants have any idea what could be looked at that could be causing the problem?

Roy

Reply to
ROYNEU

Generally when a starting capacitor goes, it goes for good. The motor can be started by spinning it. Have you noticed if the unloader valve is working? That is the sound you hear when it shuts off as it lets the pressure off the cylinder head. If it does not do this the motor has problems starting. Of course the starting is harder if the compressor is working in the cold.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

You have what is known as a Cap start, Cap run motor.

These motors also have a centrifugal to connect the start cap when starting, then automatically switch it out when the motor is running.

Sounds like the switch is acting up.

It's a PITA to replace the switch without the proper tools, but can be done.

I'd probably pull the motor and take it to a motor repair shop.

YMMV

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Sometimes a well-vectored- velocity and pressure enhanced- flow of air can dislodge an overabundance of deposited unwanted debris from the electrical contact path.

In other words, blow the crap out of the switch with air.

I have had the pleasure of experiencing a re-introduction of a faulty apparatus in the functional equipment line-up.

In other words..that shit sometimes works.

I have NO idea why I talk like this today...waitasec...who messed with my coffee? Ohhh, I get it, it is one from Starbucks...a Caramel Macchiato Americano Misto / Cafe au Lait Green Tea Frappuccino no less.

Yup Sarnia got a Starbucks...we're all lost now.

Robatoy

Hi Gerald,

I can hear that slght release of air as it shuts off. But it starts if I spin the flywheel.

Roy

Reply to
ROYNEU

Ah, Lew you may have hit it for me. Will this centrifugal connect intermittantly work? Because move the fly wheel a few times. Especially when it hasn't been used for awhile.

Roy

Reply to
ROYNEU

Thanks Robatoy

I've always been a bit weary of using compressed air on electrical motors. They say you can force stuff into areas that can cause more problems. I'll use this as a last resort before I take the motor to a shop.

Roy

Reply to
ROYNEU

Yes.

If you can spin the flywheel and the motor then starts, you are a functioning as a human start capacitor.

Try blowing the crap out first, see if that helps.

The switch is located on the drive end of the motor. May be a little tough to get at.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Hi Rob,

I'll be there at Christmas. Where's the Starbucks?

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

Maybe a wee dram of the rum in the eggnog?

The Starbucks is across the London Road from THBC = Teahen Home Building Centre/ used to be called Beaver Lumber) NE corner of the Zellers' Plaza.

Reply to
Robatoy

If a motor is 'open', as opposed to a TEFC, if the dirt can fly in, it can fly out. Try about 50 psig.

Reply to
Robatoy

Well, I'll certainly drop by when I'm out on London Rd. If the Sarnia SB can get me talking like that, my family won't recognize me and I may get a few hours' rest during the holidays.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

It's Sat. morning and I haven't had coffee yet. But does anybody else see the humor in having to get the air compressor started before you can "blow the crap out of the air compressor"? Just a stray thought. Larry

Reply to
larry

| > snip | | It's Sat. morning and I haven't had coffee yet. But does anybody else see | the humor in having to get the air compressor started before you can "blow | the crap out of the air compressor"? Just a stray thought. Larry

I need coffee, strong coffee....

woodstuff

Reply to
woodstuff