Air comp ? OT sort of

I seem to be having a problem with my air compressor, it appears to be injecting water into my paint. I already have an air water filter but the water still is present. What else can I do to keep the water out. It is sure making a mess of my finishing.

Rich

Reply to
Searcher

Dan Dunphy

When's the last time you drained the tank?

Nova

it's condensing out in your hose or at the nozzle. you need to have 2 water traps, one at the compressor, one near the end of the hose. if it's really humid out, you might need an air dryer too.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

I drain the tank several times a day. The main water/partical filter is at the tank and the hose is only 25 ft long. I guess then I would need an air dryer? rich

Reply to
Searcher

well, maybe. if you use copper piping instead of a long rubber hose, have the piping have a downward slope to the air tap, and a water trap at the tap, you might be able to avoid having one.

hf has an air dryer that isn't an arm and a leg.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

If anyone in Eastern MA wants a real refrigerated air dry, cheap, I have a couple. Want to sell at least one.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

whats cheap? As you can see I am having finishing problems and you seem to be right on the mark!

rich

Reply to
Searcher

the water separator needs cool air to work. the air right out of the compressor is hot enough to keep the moisture in it right through the separator. try a length of hose between the compressor and the separator.

Reply to
bridger

Great thought, I will change my set up around to give the air a chance to cool down. I am not getting much water in the separator come to think of it.

Thanks for the tip I'll let you know how it turns out.

Rich

Reply to
Searcher

Also - get one of those orange bulbs that go on your gun. They are water traps and they screw into a standard 1/4"NPT fitting. One side is male and the other is female so you may need to buy an adapter as well, depending on what your gun needs. These things work very well. Very well. I use one on all of my spray guns and I've shot cars with a small compressor that thought part of it's purpose in life was to provide a refreshing mist as well as compressed air. I get absolutely no water through these things and have not experienced any finish problems since going to them years ago. And - as was said before, drain your tank - right before you are going to spray.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Reply to
JGS

Orange bulb? Forgive me but I have no idea what an orange bulb is. That sounds like my answer! Where do I go to look for one?

Rich

Reply to
Searcher

Here's the url...

down to Spray Gun Filters, model D-12-1.

These things are available in most auto parts stores and from any automotive paint supplier. Just screw it on your gun and forget about it. They last forever with occasional spraying.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Try it - you'll love it. The url is

down to where it says Painting: Spray Gun Filters. The product id is D-12-1. You screw one on and forget all about it. They last for years with occasional spraying. With the amount a wooddorker would do you'll only ever need one.

They are available in most auto parts stores and in all automotive paint supply houses. I think they're around $5.00 or so, but I'm not sure. When I need to get one I don't really pay attention to the price - it's one of those things that if you need one, you need one.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

try moving your water filter away from the compressor. get a 10 or 25' legnth of hose to run from your compressor to the filter, then add another legnth to your paint gun. Make sure the tank is drained. I have painted several cars and this certainly helps!

Dave

Reply to
<daveandfritzi

Today, I did move the water trap from the tank with about 6 ft of hose between the tank and the hose reel. I drained the tank and hopefully I will see a difference when I go to use the sand blaster this weekend. I am also going to look in my area for the "orange bulbs"/

Reply to
Searcher

This is the best solution, especially if you plumb your lines so that you have a trap (similar to the p-trap under your sink) with a drain valve and a bit of a vertical run before you get to your water filter. For many, they just don't go to the extent of plumbing a compressor properly - sometimes because they just can't, so the alternatives like the gun mounted filters make a good second best approach.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

How big is your compressor and tank Rich? Sand blasting takes it's toll on a compressor, just like body tools do. It just demands a lot of air volume. Smaller compressors end up cycling a lot, and they generate a lot of water in the process. A lot of siphon blasters won't even pick up sand after a while, simply because of this problem.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

One of the things I've found to contribute to moisture in the air stream is too small a tank. I used to use a gallon tank on a portable used with a pneumatic drill. Water out the drill's exhaust all the time. Needed to be portable, water didn't hurt the drill. Hooking the same drill to a compressor with a 20 gallon tank give no condensate out the exhaust. How big a tank are you dealing with?

bob g.

snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway