Air Cleaner Blower Speed?

The Short Version: I have a blower without a motor that I'd like to use as an air cleaner (build a box, place blower and motor inside box and attach furnace filters to the outside of box variety air cleaner). The blower has a 9" diameter squirrel cage and the manufacturer lists it as 600 to 1400 CFM capable but the manufacturer doesn't have anything noting the size of the pulleys or the motor RPM.

Anyone want to SWAG or anyone have any real life knowledge of how fast this thing wants to go?

The Long Drawn Out Version: I am not a dumpster diver. I can be accused of reaching into a dumpster or two and plucking out a thing or two but technically, I'm not a dumpster diver. No really, I'm not.

Anyways (not a word), having established this point of fact, there are a couple/few dumpsters that I make weekly rounds on. One is located at a local HVAC contractor and I've been on the look out for a furnace blower figuring they'd throw out something with a broke motor and I'd pluck it. Yesterday I hit pay dirt and there was not one but two. OK, there were three but the third was left behind because the shaft was seized.

So here is the interesting part. These three were identical. The two that I took were "new in box" (without the box). In fact, the two good ones still have the tag on them and the date on the tag is 4/04 as in, last month? Both have new bearings, spin effortlessly and with the exception of sitting in a rain shower on Friday are spotlessly new.

So, one I'll look at making into a air cleaner and the other will be considered for a window fan (with proper filtering) and used when I need to evacuate the shop of stinky smells and during nicer weather when I just want venting.

So, again, anyone have anything to offer regarding motor speed and pulley size?

I do also hope to find a multi-speed motor.

UA100, not a dumpster diver...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Hi Keith,

With the spec's you've stated the closest I could find is this one:

looks like a direct drive running at 1725 RPM.

Nova

Thanks Jack. I never even thought of Graingers.

By the way, my outlet is 10"ish by 12"ish (twice the one above. You don't think this could/would be a factor worth considering?

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

I wouldn't think so. Perhaps you can scrounge up and old furnace blower motor with three speeds. On mine I wired in three separate switches for lo/med/hi as it was a lot less expensive than a three position switch that would handle the current draw.

Nova

I went to Grainger's catalog as well, but seem to see different info. Looks to me like most of the 9.5" wheels have a 1075 rpm motors.

What's the width of the wheel?

All the replacement wheels in my Grainger cat. have a 1650 max. rpm rating.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

About 11"-12".

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Hmmmph. That (9.5"x 11"+) doesn't seem to match any of Grainger's blower units.

My old MSC catalog doesn't list wheel sizes or even much by way of rpms. The one section that does list rpms shows a unit running at 1700rpm - but that's the smallest 1/3 hp motor. The majority are in the 1050-1225 rpm range.

I suppose you could call an HVAC installer and ask about rec'd and max blower speeds.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC