Ah, those wire service home-improvement experts!

Takes two of them to come up with something like this:
"Keep in mind that rough grits of sandpaper leave deep scratches so start with the finer grits (150 to 220) and slowly work up to the rougher grades."
http://tinyurl.com/zuzmn
James and Morris Carey, The Associated Press Published: Saturday, May 27, 2006
Dhakala said:

Ah, they are related. Perhaps too much so... for generations... The one saving grace in a world of plutocracy - inbreeding.
Dhakala wrote:

As for the wire service connection, don't know the connection but "The Carey Brothers" is a syndicated radio call-in show (and they have Dom DeLuise as a regular "guest"). It's on the local AM station on Saturday mornings (although at the same time as the Tappet guys so they lose out when I do have the radio on) :) . Apparently, they actually are contractors somewhere out in CA, I think perhaps the Bay area but am not at all sure. In general, from what I've heard, they're not _too_ bad, although that was a faux pas, for sure. Quite possibly that was written by some flunky under their name rather than by one or the both of them for the column--I've not seen any columns of theirs before so can't say whether this is an aberration there or not. I don't personally recommend them much, as they're of the "far too cheerful" type to listen to in my book, but of what I have heard, their advice and expertise seems ok--not great, not terrible, just ok.
So, based on what I've heard over the last several years on the occasional time their show has come on and it's been inconvenient to change it, I'd chalk this one up to an aberration, not utter ignorance.
<< I don't personally recommend them much, as they're of the "far too cheerful" type to listen to in my book, but of what I have heard, their advice and expertise seems ok>>
It's odd that you find the Carey brothers too cheerful but, when there's a conflict, you listen to the Tappet Brothers who are downright delirious. Although I do agree with your choice.
Lee

Lee Gordon wrote:

Totally different kind of "cheerful"... :)