Ah, Got Tools

Page 1 of 2
The sons are obviously starting to pay attention. The older one got me some small tools, all ones that I can actually use. And the younger son got me a four-cup Mr Coffee coffee maker. And was pvided a tasty meal at the older son's place. Life is basically good.
Hope everyone had as pleasant a holiday.
JOAT If you can read this you're in range.
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 25, 10:41 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 20:05:39 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

yeh i think your right robotoy! there's some large suckin sounds commin otta claytonia lately. congrats JOAT!!!!!!!!!!!
skeez
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 25, 10:41 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Very nice here, with 11 people crowded into this small house...the dining room table comfortably holds six, so it was fortunate we had a brunch that lasted until 3 p.m., from about 9:30. The dog was in hog heaven: 16 pounds of ecstasy with that many hands to pet her every time she sat up on her hind legs or rolled over.
Everything I got either fit or was useful, probably a new record.
For some reason, no one gives me tools.
Add pictures here
✖
"Charlie Self" wrote

LOL! Know the feeling ... and not everything I got fit, or else it has more than enough calories to guarantee that anything that did, will not do so in the future.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Hey, I pulled out the old Class A green blouse t'other day. I can barely even get an ARM in the thing now, and I was no midget when they fitted that one to me. I'm surprised the moths haven't gnawed it to bits, with 25 years in my mother's attic or closet, and 20+ years now in my basement storage. That thing is getting OLD!
With all the cooks in the family, food doesn't often get given, but there are always too many cakes and pies baked, and Frances found a new blueberry crisp "breakfast" dessert recipe for this year. That is most definitely not a sensible tradition to start, but, damn, it tastes good, especially with a little top quality French vanilla on top.
Add pictures here
✖

Sort of like the guy that gave up sex for food.. 6 months later, he couldn't even get into his OWN pants..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Add pictures here
✖
"Charlie Self" wrote

Yep, once again know the feeling. Don't know why, but I still have both a set of class A's, and dress blue's, hanging in my closet, way in the back .... just looking has resulted in my resisting the temptation to even so much as put an arm in a sleeve for at least 30 years now.
Actually, I've snuck 'em into Goodwill's bag a time or two in years past, but got caught. I've suspected that SWMBO has, as of yet unspoken, plans to bury me in one or the other ... I wish her the best of luck in that endeavor.
... a tee shirt, cargo shorts and a pair of crocks would be much more fitting, literally. ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Under extreme extenuating and mitigating circumstances ... in-laws ... I've pretty well singlehandedly killed a gift bottle of "Pennsylvania Dutch Egg Nog" in the past three evenings... the three kinds of alcohol surely makes it low fat, eh?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

I quit drinking long ago, but as I recall, three kinds of alcohol was how I got in a LOT of trouble!
Eggnog breakfast, a sip of Wild Turkey for lunch, and Courvoisier at dinner. Sounds pretty good to me if my health would allow it. I think it was the between meal snacking that did me in.
Add pictures here
✖
"Charlie Self" wrote:

SFWIW, still have a pullover sweater from 50 years ago that I can get my robust body into.
You betcha it's tight, but that doesn't count.
The bloody thing was very expensive at the time, but in hindsight, it certainly doesn't owe me anything.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖

Mine are both 86 and alive. But my dad had NO clue who my mother was when we tried to have a Christmas dinner. She sadly mentioned that she'd have an easier time of dealing with him dead than this way.... kinda made all the presents non-significant, eh?
Have the best New Year you know how....
✖
Tanus wrote::

"Robatoy" wrote:

My mother, who will be 103 in April, has been in a nursing home since suffering a compound fracture of her right leg, just above the ankle, last January.
Her mind is still sharp, but the body is shot.
Just this week, thanks to the internet, was able to arrange a visit for her to see her 85 year old nephew, 93 year old niece and their spouces, who live about 300 miles away, and whom she hadn't seen in at least 20 years.
At the end of the visit, the parting comments to my mother were, "See you in heaven aunt Bert".
Gives you something to think about.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖
"Robatoy" wrote

Man, this hits home ... we've been up here the past week taking care of SWMBO's father, bedridden with stage 4 lung/bone/spine cancer. While I've been doing the "heavy lifting" to take the pressure off SWMBO, it's she who will have to carry the ball by herself when I go back tomorrow ... sure hate to leave her to face that alone, but there's no choice in the matter.
We briefly got him to the dinner table in a wheelchair for Christmas dinner ... a sight which indeed put some of the "Merry" back into this particular Christmas, if only for a brief time.
(He whispered in my ear yesterday afternoon, as I helped in back into bed after a trip to the hospital: "you should just go ahead and shoot yourself when you get in this shape."
Although I doubt he is mobile enough to reach them ... I removed all his guns from the house last night. Another chapter in a life closed.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07
Swingman wrote:

siblings if she has any) is/are the proof.
I remember my grandfather asking me to leave a razor blade on the night stand for him. He was going down to prostate cancer - I was sixteen. Didn't do it, but I understand his request more every year as I approach the inevitable and after going through a removal of a foot of large intestine.
Add pictures here
✖

I'm kind of ambiguous about this part of dying. Having had a fairly serious disability for the 25 years and experiencing more and increasingly affecting problems the past several years, I know that when my time comes I'll have a really difficult time of it and there's every chance it won't be a quick process. I think I'd rather end it myself while I was still able to do so. The difficult part will be realizing that my time *has* actually come and doing what I want to do. So far, every time I've gone into the hospital, I've come out again after a certain period and one expects the eventual hospital discharge to continue. One of these times it won't and it will be too late for me to do anything about it.
Add pictures here
✖
Upscale wrote:

My sympathies with your SWMBO, Swingman. As with your situation, Upscale.
A few years ago, my aunt was dying of cancer and my Mom came to visit her for a while to help out. My aunt had amassed enough prescription medication to knock out a small borough in NYC and was prepared to down the whole bundle and call it a day. My mother found out and intervened, but she's questioned her action ever since.
Shortly afterward she went into palliative care and said something similar to your FIL, Swing. She looked at me and said, "Don't ever let yourself get into this kind of situation." It was clear what she meant. God-fearing, religious, AND a good woman to boot, but in the end she wanted to write her own ticket.
Life sucks and then you die is the maxim of a pessimist. For me, life certainly doesn't suck, but sometimes the manner of death does.
No easy answers, but sometimes decisions which seem plain wrong........aren't.
--
Tanus

This is not really a sig.
✖
"Upscale" wrote

I indeed sympathize with the sentiment. In this case, and in the remote possibility, I just didn't want SWMBO to have to deal with the aftermath of that scenario. I've dealt with a few suicides, both friends and family, and the anguish, and anger, that it leaves behind made the act seem selfish in retrospect.

Summer before last the family was writing our mother off. It very seriously didn't look good for her. She's bounced back and, at 85, beat me into the local Chinese restaurant for dinner a couple of weeks back.
... one of the problems with life is that you never know.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

This I understand and agree with fully. I remember when my father's time had come and he was in the hospital, he requested that I go upstairs into his study to deal with or remove a number of things that he didn't want my mother to have to handle. Even back then, I was using the wheelchair. One day when I know my mother would be out for a considerable amount of time, I dragged my butt up the stairs pulling the wheelchair after me and took care of everything he asked me to do. Even to this day, twenty years later, I remember every single thing I did at the time.
Add pictures here
✖
Sat, Dec 29, 2007, 9:14am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Swingman) doth sayeth: <snip> Although I doubt he is mobile enough to reach them ... I removedall his guns from the house last night. Another chapter in a life closed.
On a scale of from 1 to 10, the 10 being not committing suicide, I'm probably at least at 12 on the sacle. However, if it was me, I'd be prepared if it was a similar scenario - I might not be able to get to it, but I can pretty much guarantee you that you wouldn't find all my guns. Personally I think if it was me, I'd quite well ask my doctor to pull the plug for me.