Advise for deck over patio with little clearance

I want to build a deck overtop of an existing 8x10 concrete patio. The main problem is that the existing patio sits about 3 or 4 inches below the door sill. I don't see a way without removing the existing patio and lowering the grade of the yard for the horizontal support joists to fit without creating a step-up deck. The yard was raised for the patio so the yard grade will not need to be lowered at the edges of the deck.

Do I just need to remove the existing patio?

Thanks.

Reply to
Mike Brancato

I'd extend the patio. I can't see any advantage to having a wood deck a few inches above the ground. It is a good place to breed mold, hide rodents, skunks, insects and requires much more maintenance than a slab of concrete.

If the deck is going to be the same size, just put sleepers right on the concrete.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If I were to extend my patio I would have to raise the grade of my yard

12 inches in some places, and create bad drainage due to the way the patio is built and the property lines fall. Like I said, the base of the patio is built up so 12 inches off the edge of the patio the ground is 6 inches lower. 36 inches off the edge of the patio its over 12 inches lower. It would be more work to extend the patio. A deck is more eye appealing around here than a simple patio.
Reply to
Mike Brancato

For at least that the part of the deck that is over the patio, why are full "support joists" needed? Just support the deck with the patio. Either lay some P/T boards flat to screw the deck boards to, or if the patio is pitched, you can rip some "joist" material on a taper to even it out, and screw the deck boards to those as if they were "joists"..

If you are extending out past the edge of the patio, switch support schemes when you get there, or keep going with P/T sleepers depending on your conditions.

As for the option of extending the patio, there is no need to raise the yard to match it. Leave the surrounding grade where it is and use a low rim wall around the extension. If you were not going to raise the grade to match the deck, why do you have to raise it to match the patio?

luck,

-v.