Advise

Page 2 of 3
On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 16:53:27 GMT, Dave Balderstone

Now 4,000 and counting. However I've auto killed all but about 50 of the last 1,000
Andy Dingley wrote:

Jeez... I use Outlook Express, ZoneAlarm Pro, and Norton's Antivirus. I have made good use of Outlook Express's rules capability and as a result, I get less than 3 unsolicited spam messages a week. Not only do they not show up in my "delete" folder, I never see the rest of the crap at all. It's deleted from the server.
I've never had a virus either. I wish I could say the same thing for hardware meltdowns.
After having helped my father restore his system last week from a hard drive failure, I've now invested in external USB hard drives for the both of us. Drive Image 7 supports them (USB drives). I am determined never to have to start from scratch again.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@carolina.rr.com.BARF

Your ISP must be running something to filter the spam and viruses. Or you've been very lucky. I run all the same things you do. They won't stop spam from getting to your ISP's server. They will help you contain and remove it once it is sent to your PC but not before.
Dennis Vogel

They aren't hitting my mailbox anymore, but Spam Assassin is killing them at my mail server about twice a minute. Beyiond that, I've stopped counting.
djb
--
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

process, and delete them all. I was sufficiently pissed off that I replaced my email address in hope of preventing a repetition. (Cutting out the usual 75 spams a day would be nice too.)
Abe
--
A numeral would be more efficient than spelling out "ONE" in an email
addy, don't you think?

Its Getting Sickening Is'nt it? Its Overflowing My E mail, and Yahoo keeps giving me warnings about Mail box storage Limit exceeding its limit. Thanks, Tony D.
Starting yesterday, I've received about 50 copies of the new virus. They're trying to come in as a microsoft security patch, "PLEASE APPLY NOW!"
As if!

I've had about 800 since after dinner yesterday. Working with my sysadmin to try to block them at the server.
djb
--
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 16:13:21 GMT, Dave Balderstone

My count is now near 100. Fortunately it's not as bad as yours. yet. these virus people have entirely too much time on their hands. they should just chill and go get a beer.

I'm up to nearly 1K right now. My suppport goddess and I have been tweaking my Spam Assassin settings on the box that hosts balderstone.ca and may have finally got it. I'll know more in a while, things are so slow that there's a 45 minute delay at the mail server.
At work, we run an anti-virus server along with the firewall, and I haven't had one from that account.
djb
--
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

The other day I had one of my people stuck with a 2 1/2 download time for email on her computer because of viruses (the first wave) that had come in starting about Labor Day. All from one Road Runner Indianapolis account. Her ISP's response when called was to say it was just spam and he could change there email address to solve it. Interesting response I thought. Wonder why his business isn't flourishing. Actually, he better than the other local providers and none are doing well. Anyway, one email to abuse at Road Runner solved the problem.

The numerous emails I'm getting don't appear to be from any real source. When asked about putting virus filtering software on their mail servers, my ISP (Patriot Media in NJ) actually said "no one is using that kind of thing or else there wouldn't be all the viruses spreading around the world." Needless to say I was shocked by this logic.
Dennis Vogel

No one does it for a reason.
With thousands of end users, it's extremely difficult to create a general application rule that wouldn't supress legitmate eMail for someone. I have a rule deleting everything that has "Microsoft" in the subject line, but if I worked for Microsoft or one of it umpteen vendors, I might find that particular rule, totally unacceptable.
I don't normally eMail executable files, but I have, on occasion forwarded a particular file to a relative.
Even the multi-address rules of some ISP's can cause problems. My daughter, a manager, regularily sends out bluk eMails to 22 regionally dispersed employees.
Much better for end users to learn the rather simple rule, do NOT open any attachments unless you know exactly who sent it and why.
James...

How about an email that contains a virus? Those should be filtered by an ISP. In fact, a good ISP will let individual users configure their own filters. No need for everyone to have the same filters. This isn't a difficult problem to solve. And it's in the ISP's interest to do this because it is their bandwidth that is getting chewed up with this crap.

Yeah but there's a little problem. When I shut off my computer, the email backs up on the ISPs mail server. When it gets full, valid email gets bounced. Overnight is sufficient to clog my mailbox.
Dennis Vogel

Once new virus configurations are well, known, I'm reasonably certain that some (many, most) ISP's might well do extactly that. But someone, somewhere has got to get copies of the infected code, break the code down to locate and identify exactly the code sequence that's the culprit, and then issue "definations" of that code sequence, and the administrators have to download and install the new "definations". Norton, McAfee and Dr Solomon make a lot of money doing exactly that. While this process is going on, a malicious virus can spread world wide, in a matter of MINUTES.

Are we talking apples and oranges here? I know of no ISP that will let end-users anywhere near their news servers. Normally, end-users have read-only access to the servers, and any filters and/or specific (anti-spam) programs are applied by the individual's boxes to incoming mail. (Perhaps there are ISP's that allow end-users to specifically configure their individual accounts on the servers, but it sounds like a great way for someone to screw up their mail and then blame the ISP, and since each user already has the power to create their own rules under any modern newsreader, I don't see where this would actually help much. BTW. The "bandwidth" has already been "chewed" up by the time the messages reach the server.
Look, my personal "Microsoft" worm count is now passing 200, so I'm completely in tune with the frustration expressed. And I've no doubt that some ISP administrators are probably manually deleting this incoming messages off their servers, like crazy.
Good for them!

Hmmmm. To be tactless, either your ISP allocates an extremely small amount of space per user OR you're getting helluva lot of large eMail messages. (BTW, I know this can happen. My BIL regularily sends and receives CAD files and those suckers are HUGE. He had to request, and was granted, additional storage space by his ISP. My wife once send a large uncompressed bunch of pictures, to several relatives. I was surprised that my ISP would let them out. But the relatives, especially the ones still on dialup weren't happy at all.)

Yeah, but once they break it down they can program the server to stop forwarding mail to people. Then even stupid people who open mail attachments that spread the viruses will be prevented from perpetuating the virus. This isn't an attempt to prevent the spread of the virus but rather to prevent the secondary effects of flooding mail boxes with garbage.

Arrgh. It's not rocket science to create a server-based program with a small client app that let's me set my server email parameters: don't forward email with viruses, don't forward email with "enlargement" ads, etc. No one is going near the server. Rules at the newsreader don't help. An infected machine somewhere is sending me 10 junk emails an hour. If I shut down my PC the mail piles up at the server. By the enxt morning my server mailbox is full and who-knows-how- many legitimate emails have been bounced. *Nothing* in a modern newsreader will solve this problem. It must be handled at the server.

Not the bandwidth between the mail server an all the ISP's customers. Jillions of megabits of crap are flowing cutting down on useful bandwidth for legitimate purposes.

Mine isn't. They tried to tell me it is something I should do on my PC. I tried to explain the problem but they don't seem to get it.

Yes, yes, YES! Hundreds of emails overnight. Don't know what the limit is but I've never had a problem until this crap started happening this week. Now you get it.
Dennis Vogel
Dennis snipped-for-privacy@patmedia.net wrote:

Not true. Make your rules with the following action: "Delete From Server". Not only will you never see the spam in your delete folder, your pop server will get rid of them as well. You can do this; you're running the same email program I use.

So leave your mailreader up until this dies down. My computer is up and running 24/7/365. I seldom see spam. FWIW, I have my monitor power down after 20 minutes of inactivity; everything else stays active.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@carolina.rr.com.BARF

If my PC is powered down, there is no rule any mail client can execute that will delete mail from a POP server.

Well, I have no choice but to do that. But I don't want to leave it up. My only consolation is that someone out there has had their PC royaly screwed up becaused of their foolish behavior. It's just too bad it's harming others as well. I just wish that (those?) people would disconnect their PC from the Internet.
Dennis Vogel
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 19:12:19 -0400, "Dennis snipped-for-privacy@patmedia.net"

Sooner or later the ISPs of the computers sending this will notice just because of heavy traffic from their account and shut them down. It can't happen too soon.

My host (aliencreed.com) uses Spam Assassin which is reasonably effective. If you're not afraid of the command line you can tweak your personal prefs, and verify that you're nbot getting false positives. It also allows a whitelist.
djb
--
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"