Advise

Reply to
mrhct

I've just had my 3,000th ! _Today_ !

Reply to
Andy Dingley

And I thought I was getting nailed! Ouch!

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

In article , snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com says... ...

I've received more than 100. It took 45 minutes just to download, process, and delete them all. I was sufficiently pissed off that I replaced my email address in hope of preventing a repetition. (Cutting out the usual 75 spams a day would be nice too.)

Abe

Reply to
Abe

My count is now near 100. Fortunately it's not as bad as yours. yet. these virus people have entirely too much time on their hands. they should just chill and go get a beer.

Reply to
Lazarus Long

Possibly, but this virus reads the address books of machines infected and sends messages to all. Perhaps no one has you in their address book Rico?

Rick

Reply to
Rick Chamberlain

I'm up to nearly 1K right now. My suppport goddess and I have been tweaking my Spam Assassin settings on the box that hosts balderstone.ca and may have finally got it. I'll know more in a while, things are so slow that there's a 45 minute delay at the mail server.

At work, we run an anti-virus server along with the firewall, and I haven't had one from that account.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

The other day I had one of my people stuck with a 2 1/2 download time for email on her computer because of viruses (the first wave) that had come in starting about Labor Day. All from one Road Runner Indianapolis account. Her ISP's response when called was to say it was just spam and he could change there email address to solve it. Interesting response I thought. Wonder why his business isn't flourishing. Actually, he better than the other local providers and none are doing well. Anyway, one email to abuse at Road Runner solved the problem.

Reply to
Scratch Ankle Wood

I run Norton Antivirus, Zonealarm as well as the firewall in my wireless router. I don't see how any of these can stop what is essentially spam. They will let through email that is addressed to you. How is yours being stopped at work with these tools?

Dennis Vogel

Reply to
dennisvogel

I have received well over 60 or more of these infected emails. I have changed my posting email to a Hotmail account and I hope that this will take care of it.

They are using Microsoft links to fool people. Microsoft should hopefully be working on this one.

D.Martin

Reply to
Daniel Martin

My ISP is good at stopping the latest viruses and worms, one of the few things they are good at.

Not passing your email address around on USENET everytime you post does cut way down on the crap, but of course you are free to leave you email address on the shit house wall or where ever else you try to get your dates.

Reply to
Rico

Its Getting Sickening Is'nt it? Its Overflowing My E mail, and Yahoo keeps giving me warnings about Mail box storage Limit exceeding its limit. Thanks, Tony D.

Reply to
Tony D.

a filter on the server side can recognize the payload attachments and delete it before delivering it to your mailbox.

Reply to
Charlie Spitzer

Essentially, our tech sets up rules at the mail server for what is and isn't allowed through. As well, our anti-virus server is constantly updating its defs and is also set to quarantine any unknown attachment and ask for help if it doesn't understand what's being sent.

Bottom line is nobody should be sending us executables via email. Filter for that and all this worm crap goes away.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

The numerous emails I'm getting don't appear to be from any real source. When asked about putting virus filtering software on their mail servers, my ISP (Patriot Media in NJ) actually said "no one is using that kind of thing or else there wouldn't be all the viruses spreading around the world." Needless to say I was shocked by this logic.

Dennis Vogel

Reply to
dennisvogel

balderstone.ca

Yes, on the server. That's what I'm begging my ISP to do.

Dennis Vogel

Reply to
dennisvogel

No one does it for a reason.

With thousands of end users, it's extremely difficult to create a general application rule that wouldn't supress legitmate eMail for someone. I have a rule deleting everything that has "Microsoft" in the subject line, but if I worked for Microsoft or one of it umpteen vendors, I might find that particular rule, totally unacceptable.

I don't normally eMail executable files, but I have, on occasion forwarded a particular file to a relative.

Even the multi-address rules of some ISP's can cause problems. My daughter, a manager, regularily sends out bluk eMails to 22 regionally dispersed employees.

Much better for end users to learn the rather simple rule, do NOT open any attachments unless you know exactly who sent it and why.

James...

Reply to
J&KCopeland

Sarcasm meter on the blink again Rico?

I thought about why I use my real name and e-mail address in light of all the harvesting and virii and such. While I have decided to change my posting e-mail address, I still leave instructions for those who wish to e-mail me off list.

And, I use my real name because I believe when you are speaking with someone, you look them square in the eye and respect them enough to use your real name.

You don't use your real name, don't make reference to a correct e-mail address, and don't allow your posts to be archived by Google. Guess I have my explanation for your crass response.

Thicken up your skin son, and relax a little.

Reply to
Rick Chamberlain

How about an email that contains a virus? Those should be filtered by an ISP. In fact, a good ISP will let individual users configure their own filters. No need for everyone to have the same filters. This isn't a difficult problem to solve. And it's in the ISP's interest to do this because it is their bandwidth that is getting chewed up with this crap.

Yeah but there's a little problem. When I shut off my computer, the email backs up on the ISPs mail server. When it gets full, valid email gets bounced. Overnight is sufficient to clog my mailbox.

Dennis Vogel

Reply to
dennisvogel

My host (aliencreed.com) uses Spam Assassin which is reasonably effective. If you're not afraid of the command line you can tweak your personal prefs, and verify that you're nbot getting false positives. It also allows a whitelist.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone