advice wanted; working with drywall

Hello Group, I have never cut drywall before (my house is entirely wood- log walls, pine interior) but tomorrow I am helping a neighbor cut into his drywalled basement to install a cherry door I made for them. The basement walls are poured concrete with 1/4 inch plywood lathing attached to the concrete studs. The drywall is fastened to this lathing and I need to attach some substantial framing material (scabbing it) to the sides of concrete studs so I can lag screw the door hangers in place. Anyway, following lengthy this introduction, would it be better to use a knife to cut the drywall or should I (could I) use my Fein tool? Would a Fien , or similar tool produce too much dust? Again, I have not had to cut drywall so this is a new procedure for me. (And if I did cut drywall before, sadly, I can not remember ever doing it). Thanks in advance for your suggestions, Marc (no Woodduck present at this time, he's downstairs on his living room perch)
marc rosen wrote:

A Fein is overkill, a good sharp razor type knife is all you need, if you are cutting around electrical boxes and such it may help, but a Rotozip is even better.
--
Froz...

marc rosen wrote:

BTDT, the saw blade of the Fein will be toast after cutting about 24" of drywall. Use a utility knife. Their blades don't cost $50.00.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I have used the high-speed steel semi-circular sawblade on my Fein during an entire build of my office and showroom. Obviously, the long straight cuts were done with the ol' score'n'snap routine using a lath(utility) knife. If you are talking about the wood-cutting thin blades, I can't comment. The HS, however, is holding up fine.
On Sat, 24 May 2008 19:25:33 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

I've found that the wood blades are quickly dulled and easily damaged by anything that's not wood, including MDF. The wood / metal E-cut blades have been very durable, in my experience.
I use the Fein in many places where I used to use other power cutting tools and want to trade slightly slower progress for easier cleanup or higher accuracy.
I'm saving my blades for my children. They get those instead of money.
Nova wrote:

I have cut dry wall on many occasions with the e-cut metal cutting blade. Works great, like a hot knife through butter. There will be little dust if you keep a vac hose near the blade.
If you were cutting free standing dry wall a knife would be the way to go, score one side and break the piece but in confined and fixed locations the Fein has the finesse.
Hey All, I just came back from the job and I used the utility knife, scoring along pencil lines laid out with a level. Very little dust was produced and I now have a good opening to attach the wood supports for the lag screws. The homeowner said he thinks he could easily reattach the drywall panels I cut out. Once that is done I'll be able to hang the door hardware. Still, I had the Fein ready if needed, but that stuff cuts like cardboard. Not bad working at your neighbor's house. It's close, and there's always free food and coffee. Thanks again for all suggestions,
Marc

Coffee? Some neighbor <VBGrin>
--
Best regards