Advice still on rail and stile mirror

I am going to start on it this weekend. Wife has a hard time seeing a piece of wood as to what it will look like after everything is done with it.

First comment when she saw my 3/4 inch 2.5 inch wide stock was it looked "b ig" for a mirror frame.

Any advice as to decorative treatments to make it look nice? One thought I had was to use my vertical panel raising bit on the outside edge of the fra me. My book says that the authour like to do this on the outside edge. (Wit h only part of the profile) to round over the outside edges. Of course he w as using a horizontal bit. I dont have a router with speed control to be ab le to use one of those.

By the way all my cabinet bits are the ogee type.

Reply to
stryped1

It really depends on the size of the mirror. On a 6x9" mirror, your frame pieces would drown it. On one 24x36, they would look just right.

What type of joints are you planning for the corners (miter, splined miters, half lap, bridle)?

How thick is the mirror itself?

You can use your table saw to do a bevel cut, or stepped bevel cut on the face of the pieces and produce a very nice effect.

Whatever you do, do not forget to leave yourself enough for the rabbit to capture both the mirror and any backing you might use AND still have enough at the inside edge to make a proper retainer for the mirror (1/8" minimum)

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

It is fine. ____________

Any router profile bit: 1/4 round, bead, cove, chamfer, etc. Either singly or in combination with others.

Saw: edge chamfer; shallow decorative grooves either square or "V" on face and/or edge

Reply to
dadiOH

Use your bits to make trim stock out of the same wood and APPLY them to your frame. Will look better, with less chance of screw ups, and you can do non-destructive test profiles and fitting, before applying the trim, to please your wife.

Reply to
Swingman