Advice on Trim Routers appreciated!

I am in the market for a trim router, and would appreciate suggestions on which brands/models to get (or avoid). My reason for wanting one of these (besides an upcoming birthday!) is to be able to easily do smaller jobs such as edge rounding, without having to dismount my 2HP table-mounted Bosch.

Notes: I don't need it for laminate work. I really like the micro-fine depth adjustment of my big Bosch, so I assume I would like something like that in the small version also. I read the review in Wood magazine (issue 113), but none of the editor choice selections had a micro-fine adjustment, and vice-versa none of the ones that did were "chosen" by the editors. I wonder why? They liked the "Craftsman" which in this group usually get spelled with a "p"...? Anyway, it did not give me a clear idea which one to get. Is the unusual spindle lock of the Bosch really a problem? I started to look at Google groups, but did not find that illuminating either. E.g., is sticking of the bit a problem for all PC's?

Thus, I would appreciate some advice from people with real hands-on experience. Also, which accessories are most useful?

Thanks! Adriaan

Reply to
Adriaan Sachtler

Adrian I have 3 Bosch 1608, At one time i posted that it was the most powerfull laminate trimmer on the market at 5.5 amps. That same day because i am looking to buy a few more i was in HD looking at the PC and The Dewalt and saw they were rated at 5.6 amps. I said to myself that boy was i going to called on the Rec, got lucky no one caught it.

PC also has a laminate trimmer model 310 I believe that is called a industrial Laminate trimmer for continuous use. Believe it or not it is rated at 4.0 amps. This is an old work dog has been around for years, If anyone here is familiar with "Betterly Tools" that is what they use, I Have one that is used for trimming laminate or veneer say around a circle

I personally do not like the base on any of the laminate trimmers even the Bosch's that i have The way the base is offset it does not take much to bend them. The PC 310 if my memory is right used to have a regular wrap around the motor fixed base, I have not been able to find this base anywhere, I am about to write to PC and ask if I have lost it or did they in fact have this base, I want it for doing smaller delicate work. Anyway to answer you question non of them have the micro adjust like you have on the Bosch I believe 1617

It would be good if they did because adjusting the bevel trimmer on laminate work is a very delicate adjust. What i will say is the Bosch will last a long time because I have had mine for over 12 years, Had 4 but someone stole one a few years back.

Next is the PC 7/8 Hp router, the one with the round end on it Now this machine has been around since the beginning of time. I'm not sure but it may actually be THE first router ever on the market. Do not know if the put the micro adjust on the base. Will be looking into it Myself.

Good Luck with you Choice and Happy Birthday, Me I quit having them, except for the cake.

George

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

I think everyone here was at this point at some time in their woodworking careers. The old single router issue. Believe it or not and mark my words, before you know it you'll have a whole collection of routers. One for every job!! LOL

Im up to four now and still thinking about another one!

Jim

Reply to
James D Kountz

Adriaan, Here is a pic of the PC 310, I think this is the one I'm headed for I can put a couple of Knob handles on the base motor housing to use it like a fixed base router. I would like a little more amperage but what the hell, I'll give it a try . By the way you won't find this router at HD or Lowes. It is Pricey I'll have to do soem shopping to see where i can get the best deal.

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

Sorry,

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

Order another base for your 1617EVS, assuming that's what you have. I have 2 fixed bases and 1 plunge base. One fixed base will go into my router bench as soon as I build it ;) I keep trying to push it up on the honeydo list but my wife keeps knocking it down. I'm hoping something she puts on the list will require a router with a base. BTW, I think the base only costs $40.00

Erik Ahrens, Apprentice Termite

Reply to
ELAhrens

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

George, your right. $59 on Amazon - but! it includes the extension microadjuster and he gets to use his prefered router.

Erik

Reply to
ELAhrens

Would not expect the performance of a trimmer to = that of the smaller fixed base routers. Nonetheless, if a continuously adjustable trimmer is essential: The 310 is alone in its class. Some pix and handling data at the

link.

Routerman P. Warner

Adriaan,

I also have the PC310 and it's a great trim router but get the clear base(s) offered by Pat Warner if you get this router.

Also, here's something you may want to consider that I consider to be a pretty versatile combination. Only time will tell how rugged it is. I had a project that I needed a small router plus a Dremel rotary tool. Found the Dremel Advantage (4amps) at $59 and the plunge router attachment (model

963-01 for $28). This rotary tool handles both 1/8" and 1/4" shank bits and the 1/4" collet comes with the plunge base.

It's variable speed and the plunge router attachment is micro adjustable and can be locked at any height adjustment. The plunge attachment is cast aluminum with two steel rods - feels solid and nothing has broken so far (and I don't expect it to either).

Just a combination you may want to consider. I picked up the flex shaft and a bunch of attachments and have been using this router / Dremel combination for about two months now and I think it's great for doing inlays and general light duty routing. I've done the same routing with the Dremel Advantage that I've done with the PC310 but I can't say that I've pushed either to their limits. The PC will probably outlast the Dremel but the Dremel is more versatile and has found a permanent home in my shop.

Bob S.

Reply to
bs