Advice on selling Saw & on Purchase of New

Have Sears Craftsman Contractor Saw w/ Two steel table extensions, and steel legs, belt drive. Have friend interested in purchasing it. I inherited from Dad's shop when he passed away. It is 70's vintage and works well. Fence is close to being on for ripping and requires only slight adjustment to square. Friend knows this. I have used the saw for 6 yrs w/out problem. Saw is model #113.299040. Will include Craftsman carbide tipped universal blade, sharpened once and presently sharp. Has worked well for all general applications. Am wanting to find out a price that would be fair to me and to my friend and would welcome any suggestions. Would appreciate any comments on the General Contractor saw. I don't have the model# handy, but it is the one WoodSmith stores sell for $699.00. Have researched it in various mags and they all sound favorable, but would like to hear from someone that has one. Both pros and cons as I am open to suggestion as to my replacement saw. Thanks to anyone w/info to reply to either request. Thumbs
thumbs
--
thumbs

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005 20:27:58 +0100, thumbs

First of all, you're trading up, so you know the saw has limitations.
I just recently sold my 1960 era Sears table saw (same general design as the one you're offering) with a modern XR2424 fence (significant upgrade) and a couple of other improvements for around $150. I was glad to get it and wouldn't have felt right asking more.
I think you are in much the same situation except you don't have the better fence. If you wouldn't be uncomfortable with asking your friend for $150 for it and if he is happy with that number, I think that's about the right value.
I know there are people that ask more for that genre of saw, but I think they are overpricing them (probably because they were purchased recently enough they remember spending $300-400 or more for it. I don't think that saw was ever worth that.
You might also consider the good will of selling it to your friend for less than market value for the pleasure of jump starting his hobby.
My opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
LRod wrote:

In my area woodworking equipment in good condition often sells for about half of its new value, sometimes a bit more. This assumes parts are still available and the unit is in excellent condition. Consider the new price for a comparable saw.
Discount it if condition is poor and take less for a quick sale.
Personally I do NOT like selling to friends because I would hate to sell a unit that was working well for me and have some significant repair required after the sale. (like a blown motor)
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Imagine what it feels like to sell an entire millwork company to a friend and partner. I often ask how the stuff is holding up. Part of the reason I worry a bit sometimes, is that I know he wasn't into preventative maintenance like I was.
Three years ago I sold an early '80's vintage Craftsman contractor table saw, two steel wings, the crappy fence I hated for 20 years, a 4" Craftsman jointer that attaches to the legs with an extension leg set, and a 1/4" 1.5hp Craftsman router. Got $250 for the whole works and ran to the bank to cash the check.
Bob