Advice on plywood edge

I'm restoring an old chester drawers and decided to put a backboard on it, I have a piece of 1/2" birch plywood that will come up over the back about 14" high. I'll be cutting it into a rounded shape with some simple scrolling at the top. My question is, what should I use to cover the edge of the plywood so it doesn't show? Should I try a veneer, or is there some kind of applique or flexible moulding I can use? I'm a newbie and would appreciate your advice. Tony

Veneer would work well, especially if it is not straight.

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

70 woodworking product reviews online!

------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews:

- GMC BJ110 Biscuit Joiner

- Karcher NT361 Dust Extractor

- Ozito Electronic Ear Muffs

- Festool TDK Cordless Drills

- Infinity Kitchen Making Router Bit Set

- Jorgensen Cabinet Master Clamps

Woodcrafter

There is self-stick "tape" wood that you can purchase in a roll. Some you have to apply heat, others don't need it.

Reply to
Phisherman

If the scrolling doesn't contain any tight curves and you can get into the curves to clamp it, veneer would work. I'd probably avoid the self-adhesive stuff and the iron-on stuff won't work well.

Another alternative that you might use is make an applique of solid wood to put along the top. This could be a piece of 3/4" stock with a rabbet in the back for the plywood. At most the plywood gets a curve across the top. The solid wood gets the scroll work and fancy stuff.

G'luck.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I know you asked specifically asked about plywood edging Tony, but can I throw another idea your way? I'm not big on edgings. I've never liked the looks of them and have often found that they don't stand up over time. Why not get a couple of boards planed down to 1/2" so they match the thickness of your plywood, then glue them up to make yourself a board that's little more than the 14" that the crown is going to rise above the top of the chest of drawers. Stop you plywood back a little shy of the top of the piece and run the board the rest of the way. That way you have solid wood to work with and no worries about having to put edge banding on. You also gain the ability to route the edge designs instead of being limited to just a straight edge.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Hey - I likes the way you think man!

Reply to
Mike Marlow

So basically you're saying that I could use the boards as sort of a crown moulding? Or maybe like a frame? I like the sound of your idea, but I'm just not sure I'm tracking you right here. Tony

Tony, I'll do a sketch for you this morning when I get to work. That'll make it all clear. Hang tight.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Tony, I'll do a sketch for you this morning when I get to work. That'll make it all clear. Hang tight.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

A picture is worth a thousand words. If Dave is sketching what I suggested, then it's better to wait and see his artwork.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

As promised, here's a quick sketch. Mike and I have different ideas but both solve the problem of edging the plywood. Hopefully the drawing is self explanatory. See this link:

Dave

Reply to
Dave

What did you sketch it with?

C'mon, you knew someone would ask...

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Barry, I've been using a program called SketchUp for doing my woodworking drawings. It is incredibly fast and intutitive. It was designed as computerized version of sketching on a napkin for architects. Not really intended as a CAD drawing but because it will allow you to add dimensions, I use it that way. 3D drawings are nice to let other visualize what you have planned. I also have the client sit down and tell me what they want while I draw. It's kind of like the artists who draw crooks based on witness descriptions.

For this stuff of talking about ideas on the internet, I like it because a picture is worth a thousand words.

If you want to see some other things I've drawn with it, there are a bunch of drawings scattered through my album here:

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Excellent representation Dave. And for the OP, I would be equally comfortable supporting Dave's idea as well as my own. It's all a matter of your preference, and to some degree, cost. Dave's idea would be cheaper than mine, and adds a little design character that mine does not.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Thanks. I've actually tried SketchUp, but was put off by the price.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Thanks, Mike and Dave. Funny, that's exactly what I pictured in my head, but just wasn't sure I was getting it. Ah, great minds all thinking alike....

Tony

My thanks to all who responded to my post. As a relative newbie at this, I really appreciate you all taking the time and effort to help me out.

Tony