advice on new vehicle

Page 1 of 2

At the moment I have a Nissan kingcab pickup which I use for work and daily use.. Pickup lumber, deliver pieces that will fit.. I'm toying with buying something else... Gas mileage is important. As much as I like small pickups and mini vans well ouch yuck, they can actually load more inside than a small pickup. A friend has a Honda Odyssey.. loads a lot.. So I was just curious what others are using for there business and daily use vehicle that might get more that 18 to the gallon.. Joel

I love my Chevrolet CCDually 4x6 Diesel.
Dave Afterall, I am a Chevrolet and Honda Dealer so eitherway - I like your choices.
I used to have a Honda Civic 83. When I needed sheets of ply I rented a truck for the weekend. Now I have a new Tundra, not good on gas mileage but I drive very little.
dwolf wrote:

What if you need sheet goods? Are you going to let it hang out the back?
I have a 4WD Sierra with the small V8 and I'm getting about 17mpg as a daily driver. http://www.gmc.com/sierra/1500/specsFuel.jsp
Stick with a pickup, you'll always have plenty of friends.

I like my 1999 Sierra, 2wd 3 door, with the small V8. 18-20 mpg with a shell over the back. It's my third or fourth, depending on how one counts...
Patriarch

Second this! I have (well son #2 now has) a 99 Sierra Classic with the same set up. 135k on it now. Cherub #2 commutes to school in it (Houston to NC). Still a great truck. I replaced it with another GMC, but crew cab. Rides like a fancy car, but works like a truck. I like this even better than the 99 (much improved a/c system) if that is possible. Chevy/GMC man since I bought a 72 strait six, 3 on the column with 2x40 a/c (2 windows, 40mph) in 80. I have no idea how I would function without a truck. My current one may be my last.
Regards, Roy
Get a real truck. I just bought a Dodge '06 QuadCab 2500 4x4 with the Cummins and an auto tranny.
I love it. 610 ft. lbs. torque. 325 hp. The mileage doesn't level out until it has about 30k miles on it. They say the engine will outlast the power train components by about 3:1.
Costs about $100 to gas it up, but it will haul plenty.
Steve
RayV wrote:

FYI, when my wife got a new car we kept her old '97 Dodge Grand Caravan for picking up lumber and sheet goods (and tailgating). The inside dimensions are exactly 4' between the rear wheel wells and 8' from the back of the front seats to the inside of the back door (with the other seats out--fairly easy). I have picked up 10 sheets of 3/4" ply with the door closed. Pretty sweet.
Dave
dwolf wrote:

I've got a '92 Taurus station wagon.. the Least Stolen Car In America (tm). Sheet goods go up on the roof; everything else goes inside. With the back seat folded down I can get an amazing amount of crap inside. It still looks and runs pretty well... my dad gave it to me for a Lowesmobile.
29 MPG. I doubt there's a van or pickup on the planet that can match that.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
My wife has the Taurus... tis good for loading... but not big enough "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" <mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com> wrote in message

(tm). snip
They say you can tell alot about a person by the car/truck they drive. ;~}
Dave
Teamcasa wrote:

Hey, I only drive it to and from the Borg or if it's raining. The rest of the time I drive my 2000 Taurus sedan.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
dwolf wrote:
> At the moment I have a Nissan kingcab pickup which I use for work and daily > use.. > > So I was just curious what others are using for there business and daily use > vehicle that might get more that 18 to the gallon.. Joel
A cut below where you are at right now, a Toyota Tacoma, 4 Cyl, 5 Spd stick with a lockable flat top cover over the bed and a liner from SnugTop.
Average 25 MPG minimum in SoCal traffic.
Have 110,000 miles on it.
A tuneup and front brakes at 90,000, a battery and some rubber including wiper blades, along the way.
Other than oil and filters, that's been it.
Fully expect another 250,000 miles before end of life.
Sheet goods stick out the back, that's why red flags and bungee cords exist.
It was interesting carrying 16 ft, 2x4s from the lumber yard to the boat yard, but all went well.
Since I'm mostly by myself, serves my needs well.
Lew
dwolf wrote:

My father is a contractor and he drives an old toyota cargo minivan. It's not quite wide enough for sheet goods on the floor, but it bulges out a bit so he built a raised platform level with the wider area. There is storage under the platform.
He's in vancouver where it rains a lot, so it's nice to have it fully enclosed.
I drive a Matrix, which is fine for everything but sheet goods (will take 8' lumber with the hatch closed).
Chris
dwolf wrote:

I have an '86 Nissan Std cab p/u. 4 cyl, 5 spd, about 150K on it now. It's fairly cheap to maintain, carries odd/oversize stuff well and it's paid for. Insurance is cheap since it'smy 2nd vehicle (other is a Jeep Cherokee). It was my daily driver until a few years ago when I bought the Jeep. I don't know what I'd do without it..
dwolf wrote:

I drive a Toyota Hilux 4 cyl 1988 model ute. Has an 8' x 6' x 1' Aluminium tray. Bought it about 6 years ago for $2000.00. It was fitted for LPG. Don't know what mileage it gets but it's been a pearler of a vehicle. Not flash but it keeps on going and is bloody cheap to run. The only thing I have had done to it is had the clutch plate and thrust bearing replaced about 3 years ago. Currently needs a gasket replaced on the carby, so one day when I have nothing better to do I'll get around to that.
Regards John

Scion xB with a Yakima rackima on the roof.
I can fit a LOT of stuff inside with the back seats down, and what doesn't will go on the rack.
And I REALLY like 35 MPG for my daily commute (that is, when I'm not riding a motorcycle).
-Don (hip to be square in Rochester, MN)
--
"What do *you* care what other people think?" --Arline Feynman

I can't get myself to buy one but it seems to be one of the most practical and economical vehicles on the market today. Sort of a cute ugly, unlike the Element that is just plain ugly, ugly. The xC is sharp looking.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> I can't get myself to buy one but it seems to be one of the most practical > and economical vehicles on the market today. Sort of a cute ugly, unlike > the Element that is just plain ugly, ugly. The xC is sharp looking.
That's not UGLY, that's BFU.
Lew
opin'd:

http://www.acronymfinder.com/ BFU:
BFU    Bau Furniersperrholz     BFU    Burst Forming Units     BFU    Biologisk Fagudvalg BFU    Body Fly University     BFU    Brussels Free Universities     BFU    Beijing Forestry University     BFU    Biologisk Fagutvalg     BFU    Blue Fluorescent     BFU    Block Floating Units     BFU    Brush Fire Unit     BFU    Bundesstelle Fur     BFU    Blindingly Fast Update BFU    Bicycle Facilities Unit     BFU    Basic Functional Units     BFU    Benjamin Franklin University     BFU    Blue Forming Unit     BFU    Brussels Free University     BFU    Bit Field Units
Hmmmmm . . . none of it makes any sense.
Oh well, it's still an FLC (FINE Little Car)!
-D
--
"What do *you* care what other people think?" --Arline Feynman