?? Advice on jointer...

I've finally reached that point where i want to buy a jointer.

For what i'm doing (various cabinetry) a 6" should do the job nicely. Main requirement is face and edge jointing and getting exact right angles on the edges. I'm looking at spending the extra for a long bed.

Since i'm based in Sydney Australia the number and variety of suppliers/brands available is somewhat limitted.

I'm considering the Carbatech 6" long bed, does anyone have any opinions or alternative suggestions? I'll probably have a look round the wood show in June and see if i can get a good price there. All advice welcomed.

Thanks

Reply to
Peter Mance

As long as the tables are flat and co-planar, and the fence is flat as well, it'll do the job. Ya pay what you get for...Tom

Reply to
tom

No, you don't get more than you pay for. Quite often you get less.

Reply to
Toller

Since you are in OZ, probably be a good idea to talk to list members from OZ about suppliers.

"Mekon" is fairly close to Sydney and I can't remember the guy's name who is around Fremantle some place. (No he doesn't sail, just builds furniture.)

BTW, you can do a lot of work with a 6" unit.

You might also be pleasantly surprised with the results obtained with a table saw and a joiner sled to establish a straight edge.

Hope that helps.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Obviously, you've misunderstood. Tom

Reply to
tom

I'm with Toller.

You can pay top $ and still get a lemon. My only criterion for big iron (well not only...) is that the vendor have a good service reputation so that if you get a lemon, they make you whole. IMO for a hobbyist, the middle tier (Griz, Yorkcraft, Sunhill) is the way to go. Admittedly, I have no idea what the vendor list on the OP's end of the world looks like.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

Snipped:

....Main requirement is face and edge jointing and getting exact right angles on the edges.

He's not going to face joint on a table saw.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

If you have the room in your shop -- and in your budget -- for the long bed, you will not regret it, ever.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I have been successfully edge jointing with a router for years, i've just got to the point where its becoming annoying having to set up the router table every time i want to joint, that and the limitation that i cant face joint in this way.

Reply to
Peter Mance