?? Advice on jointer...

I've finally reached that point where i want to buy a jointer.
For what i'm doing (various cabinetry) a 6" should do the job nicely. Main requirement is face and edge jointing and getting exact right angles on the edges. I'm looking at spending the extra for a long bed.
Since i'm based in Sydney Australia the number and variety of suppliers/brands available is somewhat limitted.
I'm considering the Carbatech 6" long bed, does anyone have any opinions or alternative suggestions? I'll probably have a look round the wood show in June and see if i can get a good price there. All advice welcomed.
Thanks

As long as the tables are flat and co-planar, and the fence is flat as well, it'll do the job. Ya pay what you get for...Tom

Obviously, you've misunderstood. Tom
I'm with Toller.
You can pay top $ and still get a lemon. My only criterion for big iron (well not only...) is that the vendor have a good service reputation so that if you get a lemon, they make you whole. IMO for a hobbyist, the middle tier (Griz, Yorkcraft, Sunhill) is the way to go. Admittedly, I have no idea what the vendor list on the OP's end of the world looks like.
-Steve

Peter Mance wrote:

Since you are in OZ, probably be a good idea to talk to list members from OZ about suppliers.
"Mekon" is fairly close to Sydney and I can't remember the guy's name who is around Fremantle some place. (No he doesn't sail, just builds furniture<G>.)
BTW, you can do a lot of work with a 6" unit.
You might also be pleasantly surprised with the results obtained with a table saw and a joiner sled to establish a straight edge.
Hope that helps.
Lew

Snipped:
....Main requirement is face and edge jointing and getting exact right angles on the edges.
He's not going to face joint on a table saw.
-Steve

I have been successfully edge jointing with a router for years, i've just got to the point where its becoming annoying having to set up the router table every time i want to joint, that and the limitation that i cant face joint in this way.

If you have the room in your shop -- and in your budget -- for the long bed, you will not regret it, ever.
--
Regards,