ADVICE ON HOW TO HOLLOW A TURNING?

I am trying to turn small round boxes and want to hollow the insides. When ever I use a gouge or other tool it seems to hop and skip around and not be able to cut into the end grain of the piece. I am sure it is both a problem with my technique and choice of tool. Also I am left handed which seems to be a problem too. Can anyone recommend a site with tutorials or other source of info? Please respond to my email address.....Thank you REMOVE "NOSPAM" FROM ADDRESS

Reply to
myxpykalix

You need to ride the bevel of the gouge on the wood and take light cuts with a sharp tool. Turners should also be able to work left or right handed, there are times when both are useful.

Ask over in rec.crafts.woodturning...

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I have done it a few times. Drill a hole to the depth desired. Cut from the inside out, that is, from the depth hole outwards. As another poster mentioned, you will need to ride the bevel of the gouge. Also, take light cuts until you are more confident/experienced.

Reply to
Kevin

If you want to "cheat" use a forstner bit of the appropriate size to drill you core out. Then all you have to do is tweak the sides to the right thickness and the bottom is flat, with a small dimple, of course.

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb