Advice on free furniture plan site

Hi,

I'm putting some old furniture plans online (mainly as my brothers idea). I don't build these things. My brother has used the original plans (from a book) and thought they were great. Could anyone who is knowledgeable have a look at one or two of the pictures of the plans and see if you could actually use them as is? I hate to put a lot more work into it if they're ok. The site is free-furniture-plans.com

Thanks Jim

Reply to
Jim

I have a stupid question. You said that they came from a book. Is the book so old that the copyrights have expired or do you have permission from the copyright holder to publish the plans? If not you might find yourself in a world of trouble.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Jim, before you go to far with this idea ... who holds the copyrights?

Could bite you.

IANAL but ... offering them free is, at best, a partial defense during the penalty phase of a copyright infringement suit and not a defense against the original infringement.

Just be careful, my friend, about offering any non-original work to the public.

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

Bill,

They are not copyrighted. They are very old. I know the laws regarding copyright. That's partly why we're putting them up - so everyone can have access.

My brother said he had a tough time finding sites that had actual plans that you could just use as is. I went and looked around for him and found either collections of links to other sites, where you could find plans one by one, or paid sites where you had to buy the plans. Not much in between. He has the books and woodworking skills , I know how to make websites, so there you have it.

Jim

Reply to
jim

Wed, Feb 28, 2007, 8:04am jim Bill, doth sayeth: My brother said he had a tough time finding sites that had actual plans that you could just use as is.

Interesting. I've "never" had problems finding free plans on-line. Have posted hundresds - check the archives. You can get free plans at your local library too.

JOAT When in doubt, go to sleep.

- Mully Small

Reply to
J T

You misspelled "thousands". ;)

RicodJour

Wed, Feb 28, 2007, 10:38am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@worldemail.com (RicodJour) doth sayeth: You misspelled "thousands". ;)

That's covered under hundreds. One hundred, two hundred, lotta hundreds.

JOAT When in doubt, go to sleep.

- Mully Small

Reply to
J T

Perhaps I'm an incompetent searcher or just wasn't clear about what I looked for. Can you give an example of a site that has free plans? I've asked in other places and most people refer to freeww.com. This site is aggravating to say the least. They don't have any plans, they have links to plans at "hundreds" of other sites. So I can click and click and click and eventually get to a plan.

I was thinking I could find a site that had say a section on small tables, then see a handful of pictures of the different tables, all right there, maybe with a little info. Something like a catalog, easy to use, easy to browse. The only things I've found so far are collections of other sites' stuff surrounded ads and more ads.

What do you recommend? This is probably in a faq somewhere.....

Jim

Reply to
James Vincent

Thu, Mar 1, 2007, 8:12am James Vincent puzzedly queryeth: Can you give an example of a site that has free plans? I was thinking I could find a site that had say a section on small tables, The only things I've found so far are collections of other sites' stuff surrounded ads and more ads. What do you recommend? This is probably in a faq somewhere.....

Yeah, the internet. Or your local library.

So? What's wrong with a site that has links to other sites as long as it has what you want? Seems the same difference to me.

Recommend? Go to google. Do a search for "free table plans", or whatever it is you're after. That's what I'd do. Or, try FREE WOODWORKING PLANS, or something along those lines. It ain't rocket science. If everything else fails, buy a plan.

Some of my specialized searches, for my own use, have taken me weeks on and off to find what I was looking for. I'd change search words, search phrases, search engines. For day to day seares I just use google, it's simple, it works. I'll say it again, 99.9% of the plans I post are side effects from searches for my own use - and even then, normally I post only 10% or less of the plans I actually find. You can figure they're free plans, unless I state otherwise.

JOAT When in doubt, go to sleep.

- Mully Small

Reply to
J T

Buy some plans and they won't need the ads and more ads.

Your searching technique is at fault. There are thousands (hundreds, if you ask JT) of free plans available online. A lot of the plans are worthless - either fugly projects or lame plans. Some sites mix in plans for sale with the free plans.

Try this - Google > free woodworking plans When you get the results page, click on the Images tab. From there you can more easily find what you are looking for. It took me ten seconds to find this site:

That's pretty much what you're looking for, right?

Then of course there's this:

RicodJour

James, what you are describing sounds really, really neat. Why don't YOU go ahead and build a web site like it so that the rest of us can come raid YOU for free?

I'm being sarcastic to make a point. You don't want to pay for the plans and you don't want to be bothered with the adv. links. Fine ... go draw your own plans. What you are asking for is unrealistic.

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

Well, actually, that's we're trying to do. I don't mind ads for free stuff (I don't use woodworking plans myself), but these plans sites seem a little crazy with them.

I'm not really looking for plans to use. We were looking for a site to model ours on. My brother has the plans and does that kind of work but knows nothing about websites. I do all the technical site stuff but know nothing about woodworking. He has a large collection of plans and wants to put them online for others to use. Really.

I told him it costs me 82 cents per month to host a site. He said he'd pay it, I said I'd do it. For some reason I thought there would already be sites like this, just some stuff because you want to share it, not plastered with ads. So many other hobbies do have such sites. I didn't think it was unrealisitic.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for all the > James V>>

Reply to
James Vincent

I think the reason that there are no sites like you are proposing is because there are not that many plans out there actually in the public domain. The only ones I know doing it for any length of time are doing so with permission from the copyright holders, many other sites have been shut down.

People do get ticked off when their property is published illegally, I get complaints frequently just for linking to such sites.

Frank C.

Reply to
Frank Campbell

Frank,

That makes perfect sense. I had not thought of that. That explains all the links. We'll see if I can alleviate the situation a bit. Mission chairs have not changed in 100 years.

Jim

Reply to
James