Advice on a used jointer needed

I am looking at a 20 year old OAV 6x42" jointer. It looks like the outfeed table was somehow gouged, welded in, and reground. Other than that it looks in good condition.

1) The amount I could actually try it was limited because someone else looking at it had changed all the settings, and the owner has never used it and doesn't know how to reset it properly. (Fortunately he has the manual) It is fair to assume it can probably be set up properly? For what I would be paying ($125) I don't expect perfection, but it has to be fairly good to be of any value.

2) The blades have some nicks in them. Is it likely that blades for other

6" jointer will fit this? (the old cliche is that one factory makes all of Taiwan's jointer, so perhaps the blades are interchangable?)

3) It is an open base, with no provision for dust collection. Is there any problem with covering it with plywood and attaching a dust port?

I won't hold anyone responsible for their advice; thanks.

Reply to
Toller

Do you have a straightedge that you could verify this with? That would be my biggest concern. Without flat tables, nothing else matters all that much (well, in my opinion anyway).

You could get measurements and call around I would guess. Be happy to give you my measurements (Sunhill jointer) if you're interested.

I've seen people attach plastic bags to the base to collect dust/chips, so I don't see why not. I've seen them in several magazines as well, shouldn't be too hard to find a picture or just figure something out on your own.

Reply to
Mike in Idaho

taiwanese jointers today are pretty good. 20 years ago might be a different matter.

look for porous castings, how much care was exercised in grinding off the casting flash, check the bearings for slop and rough running, crank both tables all of the way to the top and bottom of travel. stick your head in there and inspect the leadscrews. and the ways. are the ways dovetailed? gibbed?

does the motor run? are the belts dry, frayed or cracked? if they are the original belts figure on a new set.

it's probably a clone of the old style delta. they are pretty simple machines. if everything is there and nothing is broken setup should be smooth enough.

sounds a little high to me, but I'm a bottom feeder....

note that right now you can get grizzly's "Z" series 6x42 for under $400 delivered. it's a floor model machine with a 1HP motor and a warranty

there are several arrangements for blade adjustments. getting a new set should be straightforward enough. get out your phone book and call some sharpening shops. often they sell blades or can tell you where to find them.

that's what I did when I had a 6" open stand jointer.

yeah, sure....

Reply to
Bridger

Dovetailed. The cranks run smoothly, though I didn't go up and down all the way.

The belt is in good shape, so it probably isn't 20 years old. The motor runs nicely. 10a.

Thanks

Reply to
Toller

I actually have this jointer. I haven't tuned it up yet, I bought it some time ago as a project. The guy I bought it from was actively using it. I believe it is a direct nock off of a genral jointer. The nicest feature of the jointer is that it has a really nice long fence. I'm pretty sure the blades are standard. OAV is still in operation, and they will send you parts if you contact them. Sorry I don't have a lot of info, but I haven't had much time to play with it.

Reply to
Fatty Mcgee

need new blades. Maybe is it a good choice for only 3x the price of the used one. Thanks.

Reply to
Toller