Advice on 3 HP router

I am looking for a 3 HP plunge router that I can use under and above the table. I am on a budget but want to buy a good solid model.

Reply to
Sasha

Hitachi MV 12

Reply to
Robatoy

The Hitachi M12V sounds like what you're looking for and in terms of bang for the buck, it's probably one of the best bargains in power tools.

Reply-to address is real John

Reply to
John

I have the Porter Cable 7539 plunge router. Doesn't meet your budget criteria. But it is comfortable to use and the controls are logical. I've played around with the Hitachi and some of the other cheap routers mentioned such as the Freud and always thought these cheap routers were just that. Cheap and uncomfortable. Not something I would like using. Waste of money buying a product that you hate using and are immediately looking for a replacement.

Reply to
russellseaton1

I checked there is M12V for around $280 and M12V2 for $180. What's the difference between them as the later is $100 cheaper.

Reply to
Sasha

Many, many years ago, for the most part Hitachi tools were made in Japan. They were precisely machined, well engineered, and the fit and finish was great. I have a couple of old Hitachi tools that are on

20+ years of active duty. They were the only tools could find 20 years ago that were as well made as Milwaukee and sold at the same price. The only German made tools around here were Bosch.

I don't think any of the tools Hitachi sells are made in Japan. I believe everything they make is now from China. And while the new M12V resembles its older brother, I really doubt it will last as long.

Personally, I have a DeWalt 625 and have used it for several years. I love it. I is quieter than most routers, has a lot of power, great variable speed control and works well under a table. Like most routers, you can't have everything. It will only swing a 2 1/2" width bit within the base which may not work for you if you are making doors with certain router bit sets. If you get a bit extender, this isn't a problem. Adjustment is easy, and the router stays where I set it.

At about $250 or so, you can still have some scratch left over to buy a spiffy router base to go with it that will give you more flexibility with the use of different PC style inserts, and enable the use of larger bits.

This router handles really well and to me feels really good in my hands. To me it feels better than its 3 - 3 1/2 hp cousins from PC or Milwaukee. To be fair, both of them have similar shortcomings in the depth of cut as well as in baseplate problems. I really liked some of the features on the Milwaukee, but I didn't like those weird feeling hard plastic handles on the sides of the machine as it never felt right in my hands.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Triton

Reply to
Leon

Do you like the way that feels in your hands? I know this is just a matter of preference, but those little round knobs for handles aren't comfortable to me. Granted, I haven't used the 3hp model, but they look the same as the 2 1/2 hp model.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I've a triton too & like it a lot, every now & then Woodcraft offer it at a great price.

Reply to
Chris

Just to toss a wrench in the works, an opinion in a slightly different direction...

I don't care what a "big" router feels like in my hands, because I don't like "big" routers out of the table. My choice of a big router is 100% based on table-friendly features, with little thought to handheld use. That said, I like the Milwaukee 5625.

I find any of the 2 or 2 1/4 HP multi-base models (Bosch, PC, DeWalt...) to be plenty powerful for anything done as a handheld operation. The low center of gravity and low mounted handles of a fixed base are my preference whenever I don't need to plunge.

Others might have specific operations they like to do out of the table where they need a bigger router than 2 1/4 HP, but I haven't seen it so far. I've mortised, squared table tops, and cut centers out of

1-1/2" material.
Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Actually mine hangs like a bat, all the time. Personally, I prefer a smaller router for hand held use. I am coming from the angle that a router that big would be mounted in a table most of the time.

Reply to
Leon

Seems like their every day price is a great price. I bought mine about 3-4 years ago and paid over $300. The regular price has been cut over $100.

Reply to
Leon

"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" wrote

1st choice for a table: Milwaukee 5625-20. If my budget wouldn't allow it, I would pick the Milwaukee 5616-20. Just take smaller "bites" when using the larger bits. I have both routers and they're winners.

Max

Reply to
Max

I have both as well as a few MV12's. The OP mentioned budget, and at least here, the MV12 is a lot cheaper than the Milwaukeee, which >is< a superior router to the Hitachi.

and for handheld everyday use, the Milwaukee 5616..."from these cold dead hands..etc..etc"

Of course, none of those compare to a liquid cooled Elte spindle..but that's a whole different story...

Reply to
Robatoy

The MV12 is a great deal. I should have underscored the 3HP router in _handheld_ use part. I missed the OP's "budget" request.

I'm not so sure I'd want to hold on to an MV12 (or the Milwaukee) in full grab on a big bit!

Given a tight budget (or ONE router to do all), I think I'd go for the

1617EVS, PC 690, or DeWalt multi-based kits, and take an extra pass when it's in the table.
Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

You'd want your feet firmly planted on a non-slip floor if you're going to mess with the Milwaukee. That bad boy feels a lot stronger than the MV 12 even though the ratings are roughly the same. I can't imagine what you'd have to do to stall the 5625. (Hand-held that is)

BTW, did you read this:

here's the diatribe from my good friends:

Robatoy

I agree. I teach cycling classes! Too many cyclists don't respect traffic signals or signs. It's one thing to stop at a red light, look both ways, then go (treating the light as a stop sign), compared to ripping through a downhill red light @ 30+ MPH!

Racers are the WORST! Don't want the heart rate to drop!

A messenger was recently killed in an Alleycat race in Chicago, because he ran a red light and got broadsided by a Tahoe, early on a Sunday morning. As a cyclist, I feel for the rider, but I feel worse for the poor person who had to hit him. I put her in the same boat as locomotive engineers who hit people walking on railroad tracks. An innocent person with a body flying over the windshield.

During my classes, I point out that every time do something stupid in traffic on a bike, you get a bottle or ashtray thrown at responsible cyclists by mulletheads. The same goes for mountain bikers who scare hikers and folks on horseback by silently ripping by from behind.

With rights come responsibilities. A thought lost on many Americans.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Given a tight budget I think I would go for the Milwaukee 5616 . It's almost as strong as some of the "lesser" 3 HP routers.

Max

Reply to
Max

"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" wrote

Hey, "Teach", I'm glad you came along just now. I'm looking for a bicycle for my wife. She wants a "comfort" bike; something just for exercise. We looked at this one, a Schwinn Sierra Seven:

along that order. What would be your verdict? Recommendation?

Max

Reply to
Max

On Mar 22, 4:40 pm, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"

The above table use would be the reason for my pick of the DW 625. It isn't too big and bulky, and even at 3hp it isn't any bigger or heavier than my PC 7529, which is only 2 1/4(?) or so hp.

The 625 has a low center of gravity making it easy to use out of the table.

But I agree with your other router pic. I have a Bosch 1618EVS (the D handle brother to the 1617 series) and it is by far and away my favorite router for a single pick.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41