Advice needed..SPF Flooring. Is it doable?

Page 2 of 2
Fly-by-Night CC wrote:

At an IBM lab in Kingston, New York - in a /huge/ space where I was told every System 360 ever produced had been wheeled in for final product test. I'm not sure for what the area was used before that, or how it's being used now.
I did ask about the construction; and remember that after all the blocks were in place, the floor was sanded flat before treatment. There were a lot of 360's produced; and that means a /lot/ of casters. I was amazed that the floor still looked new in the days of the System 370. I'd guess that the maintenance crew took a lot of pride in their work.
There probably wasn't much high-heeled traffic in that area.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Probably a lot of Hush Puppies and pocket protectors.

That's cold, dude. Real cold.
;)
____

mp wrote:

How'd you guess? It was an exciting time for computer geeks. <g>
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I'm a geek myself, but I'd never admit to it in a public woodworking forum.
mp wrote:

Doesn't bother me a bit. I did my geeking honestly and well; and I've been told that my work has contributed significantly to the profitability of several Fortune 500 corporations, saved millions of dollars for the space program, helped save thousands of lives that might otherwise have been lost, and contributed to making PC's possible.
Only my ex has ever managed to make me feel ashamed of any of that - and I've (mostly) gotten over it.
I just don't have it in me to be embarrassed about having worn Hush Puppies in the lab.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I've seen similar end block floors in factories where a whole lot more hits the floor than a computer's fairly easy rolling wheels. Look up and see transport systems hauling plate metal parts. See others down on the floor welding away. See others...well, you get the idea. The floors I've seen may have been coated with linseed oil, but they were set into a mastic base, and, in at least one case, the floor was well over 30 years old (I wish I could recall exactly where the place was: not too far from Kingston, because I lived in Westbrookville at the time. I was working on an article for Pop. Science on a particular type of wood stove, and the guy welded one up on the factory floor--it was not a stove factory, though; he worked there doing something else and was allowed the run of the welding gear for his own projects. Long time ago, about '75 or so).
Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill