Advice needed..SPF Flooring. Is it doable?

I select all my best 1 inch SPF to have at least the appearance of quarter sawn boards. This type of board IIIIIIIIII at least in the 1x4 size is not that uncommon here.:) Will this help reduce splinters?

Reply to
Gino

Douglas Fir is not a fir?

As to the cut of the wood, the OP didn't state how his floor would be sliced - so quartersawing it might alleviate any splintering that flatsawn could be prone to.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

That's cold, dude. Real cold.

;)

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

It is not (botanically) a true fir. The cones of fir trees (Abies) are upright; Doug Fir (False hemlock or Pseudotuga menziesii) cones hang below the branches.

Reply to
Charles Koester

How'd you guess? It was an exciting time for computer geeks.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

I'm a geek myself, but I'd never admit to it in a public woodworking forum.

Reply to
mp

Doesn't bother me a bit. I did my geeking honestly and well; and I've been told that my work has contributed significantly to the profitability of several Fortune 500 corporations, saved millions of dollars for the space program, helped save thousands of lives that might otherwise have been lost, and contributed to making PC's possible.

Only my ex has ever managed to make me feel ashamed of any of that - and I've (mostly) gotten over it.

I just don't have it in me to be embarrassed about having worn Hush Puppies in the lab.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

My assumption, and obviously it's as advertised, is that his use of the SPF abbreviation meant he was going to try and make a floor out of "whitewood" strips. For those who haven't looked, that's the stamp on the common two-by-four. Lumber pulled from such a grab bag would most definitely _not_ be quartersawn - or clear - as was your (notice the "Hemlock" reference) Douglas Fir, nor is it known for being available from old growth. Rather the opposite, it is normally taken from plantation thinnings. Ever notice how you can have heart and wane on the same two by? Up north they even make it out of Jack pine, which comes as close as any tree I've seen to being a waste of the ground it grows on.

For those who doubt its suitability as flooring, take a second look at those SPF treasures on the pile at your local yard.

SYP - Southern Yellow Pine is still used as flooring, but its density is more uniform, as is P strobus, though the latter is much softer and lighter.

Reply to
George