Advice needed on shipping

Page 1 of 2
If anyone here ships woodwork, what type of shipping do you use or who do you use? Do you call up a trucking company or who? Do these places deliver to the door or to a dock? (I suppose probably both) Basically I'm looking for general shipping advice. Thanks.
--
Mac Cool

I have used SBT Small Business Transport several times and have found them to be very cost effective. Their website is www.freight101.com but don't use their "Instant Quote" instead call them at 888-368-6022 ext 23 and speak to Melissa.
If you can deliver and pick up at a nearby terminal, they are very reasonable. I paid $162.00 to have a 350 lb bandsaw shipped from N.Carolina to Dallas, Texas.
Joe

SBT is a freight broker and can obtain really good prices from the freight companies. I shipped through them three times this spring and have nothing but good things to say.
Melissa no longer works at SBT as far as I can tell.
Brian Elfert
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

good tip, thanks.
--
Mac Cool

I've boxed up small stuff and taken the package to Greyhound. Three days coast-to-coast.

Not bad. How are their prices?
--
Mac Cool

Mac Cool asks:

I didn't even know they still did that! Prices used to be among the lowest going for quick, non-air shipping of modest sized items. Dunno now. Is there a Greyhound web site?
Charlie Self "It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man." H. L. Mencken
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) said:

http://www.shipgreyhound.com /
I did a quick check, 100 lb box, 84" around, $350 value, would be $89.80 and would take 26 hours.
UPS ground would be $65.15 but would take 5 days. Next day UPS would be $245, so Greyhound is a bargain timewise.
--
Mac Cool

FWIW, I know someone who was a sales exec for Greyhound package express. He moved on to selling something else because his customer's shipments were constantly getting pilfered, lost, and damaged.
Do they offer insurance? The problems might be regional, but it's something to look into before shipping something important.
Barry
Two shipments I made were insured.
On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 01:54:13 GMT, B a r r y

No comparison to help quantify but gut feeling is a bit pricey. I felt an advantage in placing the carton in the luggage section in far corner on West Coast to travel accross country to East Coast destination would mimimize risk compared to transferring from truck to truck.

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 08:32:49 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net"

Do you really think that same bus is going all the way?
Barry
Admittedly a presumption on my part. Call it rationalization instead of presumption.
On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 16:37:32 GMT, B a r r y

For Chicago to Los Angles, San Francisco, or Seattle -- for the 'through' service -- it *is* the same piece of equipment, for the entire run.
Ditto for Chicago to New York, Wash. D.C., and Philadelphia, at least.
I can't speak authoritatively about going through Chicago, but I _think_ there is a 'through' bus, where the same bus that comes in from L.A. continues on to NYC, and vice-versa.
Everybody gets kicked off the bus at 'servicing stops' (circa 900 miles), when they go off to gas up, empty the toilet, etc. but you do -not- have to take your 'carry-on' gear off, and checked baggage stays aboard, too.
Looked at 3 days coast-coast and assumed same hardware was easiest for them and therefore cargo. Thanks for amplification.
On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 15:28:56 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 15:28:56 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

I was thinking more like Portland to Portland, LA to Hartford, San Jose to Philly, etc... I agree that there might be one or two buses that actually do go the entire distance. With all the "coast-to-coast" routes offered, the chance of that particular route not hubbing and spoking was low.
FWIW, I can't imagine retrieving a large package at NYC's Port Authority Bus Terminal, and I love going to NYC. <G>
Barry
Look how the pros ship things. For modest size packages they mostly ship by UPS. If you have special requirements you need to look elsewhere.
Dick

Be aware that when shipping across borders, particularly to Canada, UPS is extremely expensive for the recipient. They charge outrageous customs brokerage fees.
If a supplier in the US will only ship UPS, I decline to purchase from them.
djb
High Mac,
We ship all over the country. Our business is making small side tables, so most of our furniture can go UPS. The quality of UPS shipping has been a rocky road. When we first started in 1986, all we did was get a box, and stick the table inside and ship it. No padding or anything. As UPS grew their quality seem to go down, so no matter how well be packaged, UPS found a way to make it firewood. When FedEx started their ground service, we were excited because we thought that FEDEX would use the same care that they displayed with their overnight stuff. Well we had all sort of problems with FedEx ground like them taking forever to deliver the furniture. This made it very frustrating for our customers who were waiting for pieces to arrive as Christmas presents.
Soooo, we are now back with UPS. We think they have gotten a lot better. You still have to double box everything. We place cherry supports between the legs, metal bars at the corners. It takes our customers almost as much time to get it out of the box as it does for us to build the table, but they now get there in one piece, and have been doing that (knock on wood) for a few years now.
As far as larger pieces, we use a large trucking company. The thing is, that unless you ship large orders every day, the trucking companies are going to charge a fortune. We don't ship large stuff every day, but we have a friend who owns a company that does, so the prices we get are a lot lower. Most trucking companies will deliver to residential neighborhoods for an extra charge. Some drivers won't take the piece off the truck, which is a little awkward for our customers. As for shipping companies, we use Watkins and Old Dominion.
James
Makers Of Small Table Making Software http://www.knightlite.com/creative