Advice needed on new compressor setup

Greetings,

Our factory recently purchased a 20HP Kaeser rotary screw SK26 model. It was used with 800 hours total on it. Currently we have needs in the

40 CFM range, but expect some increases in the future. We work with some specialized textile processing equipment.

I have had different people recommend different types of air line be used, such as copper or galvanized. Please let me know what would be best. I have also seen recommendations on different paths the air line should take to eliminate water, I would appreciate any direction on where to find some plans for this.

Thank you in advance,

Jason S t a f f ---at--- drapes . com

Reply to
Jason

Here is some pretty good information:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Keep the whole world singing. . . . DanG

model.

in the

with

line be

would be

air line

Reply to
DanG

20 HP will give you about 80 cfm.

Black pipe or galvaized is OK. One big advantage of cooper is the ease of breaking into a line for future expansion, adding drops, etc. Anyone good with a torch can sweat in fittings as opposed to breaking into hard piping with no unions in a run. No threading and cutting, less chances of leaks.

As for size, bigger is better. The larger lines act as a holding tank for the air. Be sure to h ave shut off valves at every drop and be sure to use them. You'd be amazed att he number of tiny leaks that can develp over time and you'll be even more amazed at the cost of running a compressor just to keep the leaks flowing. Isolation of unused portions of the systems is important. Air is one of the costliest utilities in the shop.

This is an easy one. You run the air line to the receiver, then to the dryer, and then to your distribution. If clean air is a must, a thermal mass drier is also a must. Not cheap, but consider the cost of cleaning and replacing or rebuilding pneumatic valves, contamination of material, etc.

Running air lines with drop legs and such will reduce, but not eliminate the water. It will not eliminate any other contamination that may be in the lines. Your final use will determine how critical all of this is, but do not neglect it. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski