As a general rule, I'd suggest buying block planes & smoothers new, and looking for the longer bench planes in the used/flea market arena. If you can afford them, L-N are (in my opinion) the best, altho Lee Valley are also very good.
I beleive that a block plane, a #4 (or a low-angle smoother), 5, and 7, and a good shoulder plane will cover most requirements; altho since you have the power jointer & planer the #5 & 7 can be deferred.
John
On 19 Jul 2005 09:28:47 -0700, wood snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Three of them.
#5 jack Smoother (maybe a #4), sharpened and set differerently from the jack. Block. Lee Valley low angle if I could afford it.
As usable planes are $5 and sharpening time, there's no sense in limiting yourself to just one. Google this ng for more details.
On 19 Jul 2005 09:28:47 -0700, wood snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I'd use the money that ONE new plane would cost and buy from the used tool shop:
A Stanley/Bailey #5 A Stanley/Bailey #7 A low-angle block plane.
If you have the time, you can get them even cheaper in tag and yard sales. You will have to learn sharpening.
There's a good fairly new FWW book: "Working with handplanes" (ISBN 1-56158-748-6) it's worth checking out of the library.
Barry Lennox

Thanks for the note about that book, good price too.
--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com