Advice about a loft bed.

I am disillusioned enough to think I can make a bed for my son (he's three, it's his first bed).

I am trying to make a loft bed. I'm using 4x4 cut to 3 1/2 feet for the posts and 2x4 to hold the posts in place. I'm gonna notch the top of the 4x4 so the 2x4 fits in/on the top. I'm covering the whole thing in 7/16 OSB that will form the lip that holds the matress in place.

I feel I need more support for the posts than just one piece of 2x4 at the top. I was thinking of notching the 4x4 near the middle and placing another 2x4 there as well.

My questions are:

1) Will the OSB provide enough stablization or do I need the extra set of 2x4's? 2) Will notching the 4x4 in the middle weaken the 4x4 even though I'm going to put a 2x4 in the notch? This is for a three year old and he's going to jump on it I'm sure. 3) If I'm just totally lost please let me know what I should be doing to reinforce these posts.

Thanks for then help.

Tom P.

Reply to
padillah

Tom Do a Google search for youth bed plans. It will serve you well. Dave

Teamcasa

In other words, I'm doing this completely wrong. OK. Nice to know.

:)

Tom P.

Reply to
padilla.henry