advantages

Hi. I'm new to metalworking and I am seriously considering buying a new lathe, but I have a question.

What really are the advantages of the gear head engine lathe?

the same question about the belt drive engine lathes.

thanks a lot!

Reply to
derly2477

"derly2477" wrote in news:723f1f6e709f3@uwe:

You might want to try a group such as rec.crafts.metalworking

Once you get past basic tool maintenance, you're beyond the metalworking knowledge of most people here.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

The best thing to do is ask a good machinist. For most work using small dia. stock and light cuts you won't find much of a differance. However if you are going to do heavy cuts and/ or large stock a gear driven lathe will be better. Do to the transfer of the power/torque required and the less chance of belt slippage. I've seen belt driven units that are digital in the speed and feed ratios, that really makes precise work easy. If you're just going to use the machine for general turning save the money and get a gear driven one and then use a good machinest hand book to calculate the ratios needed for the type of tool and raw stock being cut.

Reply to
Roger