Adjusting Plunge Router in a table

I didn't get any replys to my previous post, so I thought I would ask things a little differently.
My new Freud router has an adjustment knob that smoothly adjusts the height when it is resting on a table (hand held position). When I hang it upside down in my router table, the same adjustment seems to cock the motor on the two guide shafts and it binds. Talking to Freud, they say additional torque on the knob is to be expected, but the pressure that I feel seems so extreme that I am afraid I will damage the guide bushings. I can see the motor cock on the base.
I have previously used only fixed routers in tables so I have no experience with this. Should I experience easier adjustments with a table mounted plunge router? Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance, Mike Bruno Please remove MY SHOES if replying by e-mail snipped-for-privacy@SHOES1stLayers.com
Are the springs still mounted on the shafts? If they are, remove them.

Thanks. It was actually my plan to remove the springs (or at least the one opposite the adjuster). Since it will always be table mounted, I guess I will remove both and be done. I was just a little leary dismembering a brand new router and what it might do to the warranty.
Thanks to all that responded. Mike

You should be ok with the warranty, as this is a standard mod for table mounted routers, ie: can be easily reverted back. I believe Freud routers have rubber boots covering the shafts. If the bushing is metal, it wouldn't hurt to wipe the shafts with a bit of grease.

Did you disable or remove the plunge springs? The springs are designed to counter act the weight of the router when right side up. Upside down the effect of the springs double the weight of the router during an upside down plunge adjustment.
Mike Bruno said:

Remove or flip the springs.
FWIW,
Greg G.
<Greg G.> wrote in message

:~) Or flip the springs???? Will that make them want to work backwards? ;~)
Leon said:

Very funny. I KNEW that was going to draw fire. Didn't want to write a 100 word dissertation on a simple concept. What I mean't was: Move the springs to a position which presses in the opposite direction from that which they do at present. I don't own the router in question, but this is possible with some routers.
Never mind - just pull the springs. :-p
FWIW,
Greg G.
<Greg G.> wrote in message

Move the springs to a position which presses in the opposite direction??? Can you explain how to do that??? LOL

Yeah.. that is probably what is going to work. ;~)

Seriously though, which router is this possible to do that procedure on?
Leon said:

I am told certain plunge Dewalts, and I have an old B&D plunge that was "flipped" - before it was relegated to the "obsolete junk tools" pile under the bench. I haven't tried it, 'cause I have no need, but from the disassembly of my PC890 plunge base, I believe it will allow this as well. I'll go check on this if you're really concerned.
Remove the C-Clip from the post, remove the spring, replace the clip with the spring on top, replace the post caps. It now presses down. (Or up when in a router table.)
FWIW,
Greg G.
<Greg G.> wrote in message

No need, Thanks. If it will really work that way, I can see now how that would work.
Leon said:

FYI - I went and checked on the PC 890 plunge base - It does not work that way. Seems the mod probably only works with some routers that have springs external to the post - not internal. It does on the old B&D, however.
Greg G.