Adjusting a plane - The Lever Cap

I am new to planes and I broke one today. Of coarse my first reaction was "What a piece of crap!", but after a little reflection maybe I was at fault for this one.

When I got the plane, I take it apart and check for the tightness of the frog screws. They were loose, so I tightened them up. The cap iron wasn't to close to the end of the iron, so I moved it. Then I put the iron back in, put the cap iron and lever cap on. The lever on the lever cap seemed a little loose so I turned the lever cap screw in about a half a turn. Then the the lever seem to snap good and tight. Then I adjusted the iron's angle by moving the lateral adjustment lever and it breaks just below the pivot point.

Questions: - How tight should I make the lever cap? - Do you make lateral adjustments with the lever cap engaged, or do you have to disengage it first? - Do you make iron depth of cut adjustments with the lever cap engaged, or do you have to disengage it?

I would think that the adjustments could be made with the lever cap snapped on, but maybe I am wrong.

It also seems like the lateral adjustment lever should be able to handle a little more force than what I applied to it.

Thanks for all your help,

DJS

Reply to
djs

You didn't do anything wrong. Lateral and depth are adjusted with the lever cap snapped. Bring it back to where you bought it.

Mitch

Reply to
MB