Adjusted the fence last night...

Page 1 of 2
It took less than half an hour to diagnose and fix a minor alignment issue with my table saw. The combination square indicated the blade was parallel to the miter slow, and the fence was out slightly.
The initial sign of trouble was that the rising teeth would throw up quite a bit of sawdust. If I stopped pushing the wood through, there would be a circular "rainbow" left where the blade was.
After adjusting the fence the cuts are much smoother, the rising teeth aren't throwing up as much sawdust, and there's no more unwanted "rainbow" effects. The difference is like going from an ok blade to a good one.
Why did I wait so long?
Puckdropper

On 10/3/2010 8:02 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

Yes, it truly makes a big difference having your tools tuned up. I was away from woodwoorking for many years. Though I had my tools, they were in storage. Then, with a new house came a new shop.
I began setting up my tools, a PowerMatic table saw among them. I began alligning it, and took great pains to get the slot parallel to the blade, and the fence parallel to the slot, and thus to the blade.
A week later, I was ripping a small piece of plywood and the rising tooth caught the edge closest to the fence and flung the plywood into my belly. dropping me to the floor. Bruising, but no internals damaged, luckily.
I say this all to point out that, IMHO, the fence should not be absolutely parallel to the slot/blade, but should veer away from the blade by a few thousandths of an inch so as to relieve the possible binding described above.
ER visits are expensive!
Harvey
On 10/03/2010 08:05 AM, eclipsme wrote:

Better yet, install a good splitter or riving knife.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

And a hold down. The smaller the piece the more attention to restraining movement on cut piece and off-cut. The ol' F=MA shows up on those small pieces, and small pieces tend to enter you instead of bruising or breaking.
[...]

Were you using a splitter?
<<much snipping>>

with great humility and humbleness, for myself, I have to disagree...
...If for no other reason that the fact that I work on BOTH sides of the blade, so that means that if I kick the back of the fence out by .003" on the right side of the blade, that puts me at double that if I'm on the LEFT side.
I firmly believe that by setting the fence with NO induced variation and then followed by using the correct riving knife/splitter/hold downs is the proper way to handle a fence on a table saw.
Your mileage will vary....side effects include lots of bad things like your willy may fall off and you may go bald...in areas that you don't WANT to be bald.
Luck
Mike

Where did the "double" come from? Are the faces not parallel to each other? That's actually a rhetorical question as I know they are not.

Parallel is the way to go. That and a Gripper have worked for me for a long time.

The double comes from the faces of my fence are parallel...as are any I've ever used....granted, that would actually only be 3 others, but that makes for 4 and when you get down to it, that's enough for me...which means that if you move the fence OUT of parallel by 3 thou to the right and your fence is ON the right, the outfeed end will be further away then the infeed end.
If you then move the fence to the other side of the blade and make adjustments, it will be three thou CLOSER to the outfeed as compared to the infeed.
SO....you have positive 3 on the right and negative 3 on the left.....that makes for a total of 6 thou difference

No, it doesn't. Think about it.

I have....it does....YOU think about it....
....draw it up sometime....
....if the fence is skewed to one side by one degree to the right when it's on the right side of the blade, that will put the end of the fence farther away by X amount...
...move the fence to the left side of the blade but leave the skewing the same, it'll be CLOSER to the blade by the same amount....in effect doubling the difference.
What that gives me is 3 thou or so of EXTRA space between the saw blade and the fence on the right side....
....then when I go to the left, there is 3 thou of interference....
...for a total difference of....SIX thou which is double
Feel free to draw it up sometime

1 degree either way.

I believe that I have found the problem...
....you are looking at the deviation from nominal...
...whereas I am looking at the total deviation...
in other words, both are wrong and both are right.
We do, however, agree that the BEST way is to set the fence parallel with the blade.
Luck and all that...
Mike

Don't do me any favors, moron

The above and $5.00 will get you a cup of coffee in a cheap restaurant.
Lew

This from the geometrically challenged. Just makes you look worse.

Keep in mind that when you move the fence to the other side of the blade you are no longer using it on the right side. Basically the error does not double in use because you are not using the fence on both sides at the same time. The total amount of error is the same on both sides providing both sides of the fence are parallel.

CW's right. If you had a sled which was 0.003 off and you cut both sides of a panel with it without flipping it, it would be 0.006 off.
But you're referencing the fence on your saw BUT the splitter holds the board/panel inline. It might bind and burn just a wee bit on the second cut, but there should be no 0.006" difference.
-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch
On 10/4/2010 5:14 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

with the blade and the same thickness of the blade. I took a thin piece of cherry and glued it into the slot. This made for a very nice splitter, until I snapped off the cherry one day by sliding a board across it.
I would be interested in hearing of any improvements to this technique.
Harvey

http://www.microjig.com/products/mj-splitter/index.shtml ...in steel. I snapped off a plastic one too.