Adjustable Tongue & Groove Bit

Has anyone used the Freud 99-036 Adjustable Tongue and Groove router bit set? I have never used a tongue and groove router bit set before so before I buy it I'm curious to know how it works. How does it adjust? Does it work well? Do I have to use the bits when the router is mounted in the router table?

I'm edge gluing a set of shelves that are about 70" wide and 20" deep made out of hard maple. I would like to use a tongue and groove joint. I don't have a table saw to cut them on, just a radial arm saw and a router. I haven't had a lot of luck making cuts like this on my radial arm saw so I would rather use the router. But I'm open to alternatives.

Thanks!

Jim

Reply to
jegan

My MLCS set can be used in hand because you are working against a bearing. I have never done it except in a table and I don't think I would want to, but it is possible. The MLCS is completely adjustable and works great. I would bet the Freud is identical.

You lost me about making cuts on your saw. You have tried to cut tongue and grove on your radial arm saw? I can't picture that.

Reply to
Toller

I have the Freud tongue and groove set. I just used it to attach birch edges to a baltic sheet birch for a table.

Both the tongue and groove bits are adjustable for width. The set comes with a number of washers of different thicknesses to acheive this plus a table to help select the correct combination of washers. The groove bit is actually two pieces with teeth that overlap. Placing washers between the two pieces results in a wider groove.

I cut the tongue and grooves with the aid of an improvised router table. I have a Henniker table saw that has plastic-faced extensions on each side. I drilled the necessary holes thru the plastic and suspended the router motor beneath the extension.

Reply to
RubEric