adios muchachos

Tue, Jul 6, 2004, 3:56pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@nn.com he who shall not be named, except maybe as Homer Simpson, burbled:

you know what comes after JOAT...master of NONE.

So? Selective quoting then? Try accuracy in posting for a change, I'm posted the entire quote quite a few times, as an archives search would show, and it still is at the top of my webpage.

For the enlightenment of those not familiar with it, including you, it would seem, here is the whole of it:

JOAT JACK OF ALL TRADES AND A MASTER OF NONE One who has many talents, but due to the extent of his general knowledge, is not an expert in any one field.---Dryden (1690).=A0 Amphitryon.=A0 "Yet I am still in my vocation; for you know I am a jack of all trades."

JOAT What we see depends mainly on what we look for.

- Sir John Lubbock

Reply to
J T

"but there are none so blind as those who *will not* see."

Bill.

Reply to
Bill Rogers

whoopee! as if I didn't know the origin. Jeez! get a life. join the "undersigned".

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Tue, Jul 6, 2004, 8:00pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@nn.com he who shall not be named, except maybe as Homer Simpson, burbled: whoopee! as if I didn't know the origin.

The point was not that you didn't know the origin, the point was that you only posted part of the quote, in an obvious attempt to mislead.

In a classical, tactical battle of wits, you are under mmense handicaps. You are only half prepared, even tho you qualify amply as batty, you make little use of any tact you might have, and certainly lack class.

As a clue, you might try looking up the dictionary definition of "burble". Stopping eating corn chowder, especially when it's made with those strange mushrooms, wouldn't hurt either.

JOAT What we see depends mainly on what we look for.

- Sir John Lubbock

Reply to
J T

you crack me up! I post enough to get the point across with out belaboring it ad infinitum, such as you JUST DID! I don't like stating the obvious. I assume the reader has at least 1/2 a brain and can infer the remainder of the thought. In your case, I can see I expected too much! :)

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Now JOAT, I think maybe he got the recipe off a wee bit on those frog pills of yours.... :)

Reply to
Mark Hopkins

Tue, Jul 6, 2004, 5:34pm snipped-for-privacy@leadersbyexample.com (Mark=A0Hopkins) says: Now JOAT, I think maybe he got the recipe off a wee bit on those frog pills of yours.... :)

Yeah, he's probably been putting frogs in them.

JOAT What we see depends mainly on what we look for.

- Sir John Lubbock

Reply to
J T

In response to that particular criticism, Heinlein came up with another term for it. "Encyclopedic Synthesist". Although a Synthesist, as he described it, would be more of a MOAT.

Reply to
J. Clarke