Adhesive for Plexiglas to wood

Page 1 of 2
What adhesive would be best to fasten Plexiglas (acylic) to plywood?(Baltic Birch) I'm thinking epoxy but I'd have to go buy it so...anything else? TIA.
Max
On 2/27/2013 7:34 PM, MaxD wrote:

http://www.thistothat.com
--
 GW Ross

 The cost of feathers has risen... Now
On 2/27/2013 6:17 PM, G.W.Ross wrote:

Cool web site, thanks

I'd recommend polycarbonate (Lexan) over acrylic (Plexiglas). If struck, acrylic will shatter into sharp bits. Lexan is the prefered plastic for guards.
Ken
On 3/1/2013 5:32 AM, Ken Moffett wrote:

I already had the acrylic but I agree with you on the poly. In the particular application I intend I would "hope" the plastic doesn't get struck. ;-)
Max

Screws.
What's the application, specifically?
On 2/27/2013 7:48 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

I am making a dust "shroud", "blade enclosure", whatever the appropriate terminology might be to describe a device to collect dust over a table saw blade. I'm making the sides out of Birch ply and the top out of 1/4" acrylic. Similar to this: http://tinyurl.com/d8lsjgz
Max

NO!!
Don't use acrylic for this application, it's not impact-resistant. Use polycarbonate instead.
And why make the sides out of wood? Why not make the whole thing out of polycarbonate?
On 3/1/2013 6:28 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

Since this project is a "prototype" I will very likely build a Lexan model. I'm primarily interested in determining how well the device collects dust from the table top and establishing a method of mounting the rest of the "system". I will have photos when I try it out.

Keep us abreast of your findings! I have an old Craftsman tablesaw with a blade-shroud, but no suction. I think it is acrylic, but am not sure. Finding a really good way to add suction there would be good ...
--
Best regards
Han
On 3/1/2013 8:56 AM, Han wrote:

Will do.
Max

In that case... make the entire prototype out of wood. Why bother using plastic for *any* of it?
On 3/1/2013 1:32 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

'Cause I have the plastic (several scraps) and I thought it would be nice to see what's happening under the device. (what should I call this thing anyway) I put it together with epoxy and it seems sufficiently sturdy for experimenting. I'm taking the advice of those who recommend 1. Lexan 2. Making it all plastic. (I can get the adhesive the same place I get the Lexan) (Baker Glass & Plastics, El Paso)
Meanwhile I'm figgerin' out the rest of the apparatus and how to mount the "thing".

Good luck with it! Post photos when it's done, and let us know how well it collects the dust.
"MaxD" wrote:

----------------------------------------------------------------- Based on the tinyurl above, there is absolutely nothing to be gained using 3M-5200.
Avoid acrylic like it was the plague because it will shatter from almost any contact by a chip thrown from the saw blade.
Use 1/4" polycarbonate (Lexan) and attach with some #10, pan head, S/S, coarse thread, self tapping sheet metal screws.
Drill 7/32" clearance holes in the Lexan and 9/64" pilot drill in the wood.
You need to provide some clearance between Lexan and fastener to accommodate the difference in thermal expansion.
You can also make use of a 1,500 W heat gun to aid the Lexan conforming to the shape of the wood.
Shoot a couple of coats of shellac to finish the job.
Have fun.
Lew
coarse thread
On 3/1/2013 2:42 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

The working model will be all Lexan.

I will use the adhesive for polycarbonate.

Thanks for that tip!

I have a good heat gun but I think I'll avoid trying to create any curved surfaces.

Many Thanks Lew.
Max
"MaxD" wrote:

-------------------------------------------------- In that case, stop by a hobby shop and get a tube of plastic model airplane glue.
Lew

Hobby shop??
They were quite common years ago. The last hobby shop around here died 5 years ago. I don't even know if there are any around here any more. I understand on of the reasons is that all the manufacturers of various military gear, trucks, etc insisted on big buck royalties for making models of their products. Congress was supposed to change that, but they never did. Guess they were too busy playing fiscal chicken.
Anyway, because of that, there is almost no more models any more. Unless there has been a development lately that I never heard of. Doncha feel old?
On 3/1/2013 11:48 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

BIG on-line model forum. Lot's of plans, tips, builders,projects, etc
http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php

And, here's another large hobby shop. http://www.micromark.com/