Adding privacy divider on top of block wall

Page 2 of 2
One option to rabbiting for the lattice, is to use a vinyl product that is a track that the vinyl lattice fits into to..I used this to build a privacy fence on top of a block wall just last month..Although theres a bit more work involved to attach the track to the 2X4, or 2X6 framing. Also, re: height, there are cities here in so. calif. that allow you to erect a 2' high privacy fence on top of an existing 6' wall, so check your local building code. As for attaching the sill, or bottom plate to the block wall, some cities require pressure treated lumber that has to be bolted, via all thread epoxyed into the block wall, once again, check your local building code, doing it this way will eliminate any possiblity of the fence coming down, or you could do it the cheap,fast way, by using liquid nails on the bottom, and shooting it down with a Hiltie.

Thanks!.

Fred wrote:

I don't draw well but here's what I wrote...
"The bottom piece will trap water. Not good even if you use pressure treated. You could mitigate that by making a rabbet rather than a dado in the bottom piece, sloping the bottom of the rabbet a bit, using solid lattice and nailing the bottom of the lattice into the edge of the rabbet."
Basically, instead of this... ___ ____ | | _| | |________|
with the bottom of the rabbet sloped out board so it will drain. The idea of using a grooved piece of plastic for the bottom is good too but I'd drill weep holes into it.
dadiOH's dandies v3.05... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
Many thanks!! (And you're too modest -- you're drawings got the idea across very well!)

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 07:23:31 GMT, "Fred"

It looks like a weak design that won't hold up (is that really what you want??.) Use 4 foot posts with a 2' half laps fastened to the wall with 2 or 3 concrete screws.

I've seen those around here. Might be the way to go but I was trying to avoid adding any braces on the sides. You're probably right about the weak design though. First big wind might do it in. Still thinking....