Adding on to a deck (going up)

SWMBO wants a pergola added to your back deck. I am guessing that either the posts have to be removed and replaced with taller ones, or the rails need to be removed and the top posts somehow tied into the existing posts.
Suggestions, advise, please?

Well thanks. We'll appreciate it and enjoy it. When is she going to start construction? Ed
I would (and will since I'm doing a deck and pergola) run the pergola uprights from where the joists meet the rim joists and go through the floor. Bolt each upright to a couple of adjacent joists and then block them in on the opposite sides to make it quite strong. I never was much good at putting things like this into words, but I think you get the idea. Maybe??? Mark L.