Addendum to my router question

I guess i posted before i finished...sorry was late at night. The main reason for me asking is that I know nothing about routers...how to use them, whether to get a table , etc. So I didn't want to spend a fortune on a tool that I may never develop a talent for using or even like using (however, I doubt that I will dislike it). I appreciate everyone's input and will take all advice into consideration when I go to buy one. My other question then would be, can I get a decent one at Lowes/Home Depot stores, or will i have to go to a Rockler/Woodcraft type store? Thanks again for the help and advice from a true novice. Ferg
http://community.webtv.net/Ferg_/Fergsoutdoor
first buy a book..... then take an evening course at your local High School or College in wood working.

Ditto. A book is much cheaper that a router, and it will give you confidence and help you make a better decision, and teach you more about what it can do, and what you can expect. AND SAFETY!
Think about three modes of operation:
Hand operated (D Handle or 2-ball) Plunge Table Mounted
Each method has advantages and disadvantages. Until you read more about how to use one, you may end up buying the wrong one at first. Do you know if you need a plunge or not? If you are not sure, get a book. Go to a bookstore and browse through the DIY section.
I and others mention Porter Cable. The 69X series (690/691/693/694/etc) is a good flexible platform. You can buy the basic one, and add the plunge base, the table later.
The cheapest on Amazon is the Porter-Cable 690LR 1-3/4 HP Router for $123 For $180 you can get a plunge base as well. (It lists for $80 if you buy it separately, so it's $57 instead of $80 if you buy the kit - saving $23)
I would NOT get the 0100 router. It's $168, 7/8 HP, and only has 1/4" collet.
BTW - I mentioned the 691W Router workshop for $310. This does NOT come with the plunge base. When I bought the equivalent, I got three different bases. This new package has legs for the table, which I didn't get. The package I bought years ago no longer seems to be available.
C Ferg wrote:

Sure. I bought a Porter Cable 690 with both the fixed and plunge bases at Home Depot a couple of years ago for use as a hand held unit. I have a Porter Cable 7518 mounted in a table but that's a bit too heavy for hand held use IMO.
The 690 is a fine unit that should allow you to do most things.
There's always a balancing act between price / horsepower / weight.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 23:42:29 -0400, Ferg snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (C Ferg) wrote:

I have an article on my website about your first/next router purchase. I also have one on router table/table router philosophy. You may find them helpful.
So long as you stay away from Black & Decker, Skil, or Ryobi products (home-owner grade tools--loaded with style, gee-gaws, and other impedimentia to good work--pros don't use 'em, neither should you--think Porter-Cable, Bosch, Makita, Milwaukee, Hitachi), Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, et al, should be fine. Sears might be okay, too, so long as you don't fall for the house brand (Craftsman).
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite