Added a link

Page 1 of 2  

For those who want to take a read with an open mind about nuclear energy. http://www-formal.stanford.edu/jmc/progress/nuclear-faq.html
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Dear John McCarthy:
I'm in favor of nuclear energy. But you're looking at the problem from a non-realistic, ivory tower point of view.
All you say is probably true, but the public has an exaggerated fear of anything nuclear. That has to be taken into account.
The nuclear energy industry has done some really stupid things. The Shoreham (LI) facility is just one example. If you're going to build a reactor somewhere and require an evacuation plan, don't build a plant there, then when the opposition to it has just about prevented it from ever opening, you shouldn't activate it for even 1 second.
Operating a nuclear plant should be held to the highest standards. The plain fact that coal mines don't is no argument. I repeat: If someone else operates illegally, irresponsibly, or unethically does not permit Indian Point to operate their plant(s) in the same manner.
If Entergy is able to refuel its plants in 2 weeks, where normally it would take 2 months, I would put the new process under a magnifying glass. If all is OK and fine - more power to them (pun intended). The argument remains that safety is of paramount importance because of the potential problems and dangers.
Now, if someone could come up with a use for the heat generated by nuclear waste while it cools off, that'd be great. Breeding reactors would be fine too (in about 50 years) if the dangers of plutonium could be contained. Not only proliferation, but non-radioactive toxicity as well.
John, you could probably highlight the dangers of nuclear energy better than I can - I'm just a biochemist who occasionally uses low level radioisotopes such as 14C and 32P.
Thanks for initiating a discussion.
--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

However - have you noticed that people move to be close to the airport, then complain about the noise?
Or agitate for a prison to be sited nearby for the jobs it creates, then begin public meetings about the danger of escapees?
Since companies can't vote, people get heard, even when they've done to themselves.
"We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Walt Kelly
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Han, you are much too kind! I am amazed at how a deluge of "facts" can be used to support one's (political/religious) biases. His reasoning is scary! I'm not against nuclear power--I know that is what is going to happen, but, well, let's just say I wouldn't want him to be in charge--of anything.
I try to avoid posting off-topic subjects on the wRECk so, no more.
-Doug (Robatoy--thanks for the link. It is always good to consider a different point of view.)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
[snipped for brevity]

You're right. It is OT. But often the feedback in the wRECk is of a much higher grade than the 'specialized' flamewars in other NG's. I will bow out of this thread as well.

I try to point out that there is a lot of ground between the two points of view. Conserve on the fossil end, and get smarter on the nuke end.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Robatoy wrote:

And of course you're also planning to throttle down the Sun to just what we need so that it doesn't run out of hydrogen sooner than it has to. Or is that too long a time frame for you to be concerned about? And you criticize others for thinking short term. Shame, shame.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I am looking really hard to find the humour in this because you canNOT be serious.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Robatoy wrote:

There is no humor. It's going to run out of hydrogen eventually. But I guess that that's so far in the future that you don't care what generation gets saddled with the problem.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

what
is
No problem. After the hydrogen is consumed, it will burn helium, for a while. The real problem will be when it becomes a red giant and expands to a size somewhat larger than the Earth's orbit. You'd better hope they've come out with SPF 1E+12 sun screen when that happens.
todd
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Todd Fatheree wrote:

It's my understanding that stars go through the helium pretty fast. I would also expect a change in output.

Yep.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I
Makes me think of Babylon 5, the SciFi series. One episode was a million years in the future where someone was documenting our sun finally burning out.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote in message

But
Off the top of my head, I think the number is closer to 2.5 billion years.
todd
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

burning
Actual estimation or the number of years in Babylon 5? In any event, I thought it was a pretty neat series. Sorry to see it end.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Upscale wrote:

Actual estimation--depending on who you talk to it could be 5 billion to the red giant stage. And at that stage if we haven't done something we're all dead--Earth is going to be inside the sun at that point. So is Mars.
But that is so far off that most people think that it means "never".
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

*Pfew*!!! *wiping my brow*...2.5 Billion .. you had me worried it was only a million!
*sigh of relief*
<G>
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

million
burning
years.
Sorry. As an engineer, I cringe when I see a three-orders of magnitude error. ;-)
todd
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.invalid says...

I once helped write a computer monitoring system for a nuke plant. It was very clear that it would never be used, but the feds required the plant to have it. Very discouraging to work on a useless system.
And I was a big proponent till I saw the quality of the workers and of the security system. No thank you.
And that's not even considering the waste disposal problem. All industry has such a good record at cleaning up after itself :-).
--
BNSF = Build Now, Seep Forever

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Probably would help if they had a place to put it.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

There's a great place to put the stuff, but political rather than scientific reasons are preventing it being used. Go figure.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Instead it's in thousands of places, waiting for what the nuclear power people were promised when they built.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.