Ad/ trade

Is any body interested in trading a single phase unisaw motor for a three phase? Any body have a single phase unisaw motor for sale? Thanks Max snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net
One of the woodworking catalogues has a single phase Unisaw motor for $359. I need to buy one sometime but I need to sell some stuff to pay for a new motor.

Thanks Jim That is too steep for me. I can use a static converter for under $100 and it will work fine. I paid $350 for the saw and going up another $400 is too much for me. max

Check e-bay for a three phase idler motor. Get a couple of caps. Set up a rotary converter. In a one man shop, you can't use more than about one tool at a time (figure in the compressor running by itself when it will). A converter big enough for the Unisaw will run anything else you might, in the future, want to add on. Heck of a lot cheaper than 300 bucks and you're set to do whatever you want in the future. BTDT.
bob g.
max wrote:

Robert I have used a static converter when I had my Yates 18 inch and it worked great. I have built rotary converters from old 3 phase motors for friends in the past. If I can't find an easy solution I might just do it again. Thanks max

To me, the rotary solution with a good, quiet old motor is so simple. They are dirt cheap. I actually have three around. The first was a two horse. Wanted to run something larger so went shopping for motors. Ended up buying a 7 1/2 and a ten. All work well but I don't really need them all. Don't have 100 bucks wrapped up in the three including the caps and relay.
bob g.
max wrote:

I have looked at this before. Do you have plans for the specific motor? I see try this size capacitor or that size. Or maybe I need to look at the webpages and pay more atention.

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 03:42:20 GMT, Jim Behning

Yes - The Old Woodwroking Machines site www.owwm.com has two excellent FAQ articles on 3 phase

for you tho.
Mark The Unisaw motor is kind of special. It has two tabs welded to the case and they straddle a piece of the casting and a blot goes through it. That is why these motors are so expensive.

Ah. Maybe someday I'll have the pleasure!
mark wrote:

And it's the wrong frame.
UA100

Too steep for me too. I did a similar job on my Wadkin, paid half of that and thought I'd over-spent.

I've never seen a $100 static converter "work fine". Those capacitor box converters are a complete PITA.

Ah, the lead-up to the drive by gloat. 8-)
--
Smert' spamionam

Not trying to gloat. The problem, is I am trying to set this shop on a budget. I am used to pro tools but can't afford them. I just bought a 1o inch saw (Delta) on a 10 foot welded frame with huge wheels. It has an eight foot long Excalibur sliding fence on the left, a unifence and a 6 foot table on the right and out feed tables all built in to an 80 square foot package. The problem is the tablesaw seems kind of wimpy. It is a Delta and has a cast iron top but a sheet metal base. I just happen to have this 3 phase Unisaw sitting around unused and thought I should use it.
max