Acronyms & Slang ACRONYMS & SLANG FOR REC WOODWORKING

Page 2 of 3

FIL, MIL, BIL, SIL the in laws

Also LOML (love of my life)

A few more I've seen: Griz Grizzly tools HD Usually Home Depot, but I've seen it used as 'Heavy Duty' also LN Lie-Nielsen tools LABP Low Angle Block Plane LOML Love Of My Life, a slightly more respectful (IMHO) term for wife. (Also not gender-specific.) M&T Mortise and Tenon QSWO QuarterSawn White Oak SFWIW Frequently used where I think FWIW would be more appropriate - apparently adds a "So" to the beginning.
Thanks for compiling these, Andy

Thanks for input, Andy. I gotten enough additions to be working on the next revision. Joe G
wrote: ...

Already been mentioned that it's actually TANSTAAFL. Might be nice to credit Robert A. Heinlein for coining the term in his novel, "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress".
GROVER wrote:

Wayne
P.S. That would be penetrating oil
Fri, May 25, 2007, 1:09am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net (NoOneNParticular) dot queryeth: All this and no "skunk piss"??? <snip>
That remnds me. I forgot
TROLL - Fishing.
TROLL - Sad, dorky, little dipsticks (a uphonism), with no social life, therefore no girlfriends, often found with hair on he palm of their hand. Beng as they are such unhappy and miserable indivduals they try to make life miserable for others as well. Usually early teens, but if older have an eary teen mentality.

Bug spit = shellac

Also Coors Light

Isn't that redundant?
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

*rubbing my tummy and drooling in anticipation!*
Is this Friday?

Nummienums? Please. I recall the days when I was living in Illinois (where we had to put up with Stroh's and Falstaff) and Coors was legendary there. It was never sold east of the Mississippi in those days, and I guess that must have made it seem mystical. However, when I made my first trip to Denver and tried one out I thought, "what the hell is the fuss about? This is like flavored water."
Once it eventually became available east of the river, I tried it again with the same result. There is no Coors heavy. There's Coors (translate to "Coors Lite") and then there's Coors Lite, which as I say, is redundant. They could have perfectly described their tasteless, body-less "light" offering just by saying Coors.

Yes.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
"LRod" wrote in message

Yabbut, you just never had to drink Pearl, or else! ;)
Brings to mind an old post:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/browse_frm/thread/bc71c1198cabe13d/5167c08298805988?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1#5167c08298805988
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Is there an emoticon for tongue-in-cheek?

Imagine if there was. Then you'd have a concentrated version of flavoured water. Extra boredom.
Robatoy wrote:
>> There is no Coors heavy. > > Imagine if there was. Then you'd have a concentrated version of > flavoured water. Extra boredom.
Coors, the product of a malcontented horse.
Ranks right up there with Falstaff, Pearl, Milwaukee's Best, and probably at least a 100 others.
Lew
Lew

What is amazing, is how much your average consumer forgets when they taste something 'without' a label. Case in point was that my mentor at the National Research Council was an avid scotch drinker. As this was well known amongst his followers, he ended up with a collection of scotches second to none. A cellar full. I don't think he was ever stumped when asked if he had a certain brand. One night, as guests at his house, my crew and I were challenged to a double blind taste test. His wife, who would serve us, had no clue what we were trying either. She served up 8 glasses with coded numbers taped onto them, and all of us went from glass to glass, making notes as we went along. They were clearly very different, from pale to almost cognac-like. We all agreed on the worst (IIRC, it was Vat 69) and almost all of us preferred the same one...I distinctly remember it was Bells. Chivas, Livit, and a few other high-end ones rated average. Granted, none of my guys, or me, were experts.
ABC news recently did a similar test with vodka. http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Story?id201973&page=1
When you don't know what it is... many pre-conceived ideas go right out the window. BUT... there is no way in hell that Coors would get past me. Or Bud.
I have been told, that if you drink enough Coors, you end up goos- stepping as you walk. (Must be the Adolph ingredient?)
r----> who is off to the pub for an Erdinger.
"Robatoy" wrote in message

Give me a pinot noir over a beer any day ... any vintage that you can dunk a Bluebell sugar free popsicle in will do just fine, right Leon?. ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Okay. Spill!
Robatoy wrote:
> > What is amazing, is how much your average consumer forgets when they > taste something 'without' a label.
I always found it interesting here in the US that the federal gov't defines how you can make vodka as well as gin.
You can start by fermenting anything you want, (ie: corn, potato peels, whatever), to get the alcohol.
You then triple distill it to get 200 proof alcohol, then cut it with distilled water to get whatever proof is desired, then bottle & sell.
Gin is the same except it is double distilled and the juniper berry flavor is added.
Those are the minimums, but they sure seem to cover things.
I'm sure similar rules are in place for other spirits.
BTW, I can sure tell the difference between 80 proof dishwater and 100 proof vodka, but among 100 proof brands, NAW, they all taste good.
Lew

Don't forget Rhinelander -- worst beer _by_far_ that I have ever tasted.

I had the identical experience. IMO Coors beer is just another example of an inferior product made popular by skillful marketing.
--
Regards,
On Fri, 25 May 2007 17:43:17 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Hamms did it for me.