Acronyms & Slang ACRONYMS & SLANG FOR REC WOODWORKING

Page 1 of 3
    ACRONYMS & SLANG FOR REC WOODWORKING
The following list was posted several years ago, so it's probably worth repeating it for those who came later. It's not an exhaustive list, probably the tip of the iceberg, but you get what you pay for. No claims are made for its accuracy or political correctness.
AFAIK        As Far As I Know Big Box Store        Home Depot, Lowe's (others in different localities) BS            Band Saw or Bull Sh_t BT3000        Table Saw made by Riobi BTW            By The Way Chop Saw         A metal cutting tool, functions like a miter saw CMS            Compound Miter Saw Crapsman        Derogatory name for Sears products Deja News        searchable archive of NG postings             http://www.dejanews.com / DAMHIKT        Don't ask me how I know this             (Read as: I once screwed up the same way) DIY            Do it yourself DW             DeWalt FAQ            Frequently asked questions FF             Face Frame FS            For Sale FWIW            For whatever its worth FW or FWW        Fine Woodworking Magazine GW            Garrett Wade HF            Harbor Freight HD            Home Depot (U.S. largest building supply chain) IIRC            If I recall correctly IOW            In other words IMHO            In my humble opinion KD            Kiln dried Lowe's            Second largest building supply chain in U.S. MDF            Medium Density Fiberboard Neander        WW who abstain from the use of power tools (Also Neanderthal) Newbie        Someone who shows they have not read the NG that much Norm             Norm Abram of the NYW (syndicated WW show on PBS) Normites        follower of Norm and user of dedicated power tools NYW            New Yankee Workshop, seen on PBS, and in abridged versions                 On the DIY network NG            News Group or no good Orange Tools        router bits made by CMP and painted orange OTOH            On the other hand PC            Porter Cable
Persuader        large deadblow hammer POS            Piece of sh-t RAS            Radial Arm Saw ROS            Random Orbit Sander SCMS            Sliding compound miter saw S4S            sanded on four sides SS            Scroll saw or stainless steel SWMBO        She who must be obeyed (aka a wife) SWAG            Silly wild ass guess TANSTAFL        There ain't no such thing as a free lunch TIA            Thanks in advance TS            Table Saw VSR            Variable speed reversible WW            wood working Yellow tools        Tools made by DeWalt YMMV        disclaimer (Your milage may vary)

I always thought that "yellow tools" were those that belonged to JOAT and had not been "borrowed" by his kids.
Dave Hall
GROVER wrote: | ACRONYMS & SLANG FOR REC WOODWORKING
<snip>
It might be time to add:
ABPW news:alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking BORG Big Orange Retail Giant BS Bandsaw DAGS Do/did a Google Search DP Drill Press LV Lee Valley Tool Co WTB Want to buy WTF I don't understand

LMAO

Yeah, that's like
HEY! MF, Hey! My Friend. ;~)
Sun, May 27, 2007, 9:57am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@topworks.ca (Robatoy) doth sayeth: Calvados, cognacs and armagnacs are all brandies. The Calvados is apple based <snip>
Thought it was understood they're all brandies. Maybe not.
Apple jack is also apple based. And, amazingly, scumble is also . And neither is French.
The reason I omitted French drinks from my list is simple. I just don't think tat most of them are that good, There's a lot of stuff out there that's better. I "have" had some quite good Napolean brandy before, but as it seem to be applied to any cognac aged more than 5 years, there's really not much I'd consider that good.

Morris, Thanks for the suggestions, I will include yjem next time. Joe G

Although some folks have created that definition to fit the acronym, I believe most will agree it's a reference to the Star Trek (or something) beast in space called the borg which will assimilate us all.
Particularly so since the borg is also Lowe's (blue), Menards (unknown color), Farm & Fleet (ditto), and others, rendering the "orange" part a non-sequitir.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Orange is nice because it also translates the acronym to "B&Q" in the UK.

Didn't I read in here that somebody died drinking shellac? Supposedly, it was quite a finish.
Morris Dovey wrote:

Well done! Think "WTF!?" but say "I'm afraid I don't quite understand the point you were trying to make. Could you repeat it - please - sir?"
charlie b

Actually means *surfaced* on four sides, typically planed on the faces and straight-line rip sawed on the edges. Sometimes sanded too, but usually not.
--
Regards,
On May 24, 11:55 am, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

You are correct, I'll fix it for the next iteration. Joe G
You may want to update it a bit.

Also known as the borg (reference to Star Trek or some such and the alien borg that threatened to assimilate us all), which is probably even more widely used (and less understood) than Big Box Store.

Also commonly known as BT3K.

Technically true, except that almost everyone in woodworking refers to a miter saw (the wood kind, and non-compound, and non-slider) as a chop saw.

But well deserved in many cases.

I believe they no longer exist, being taken over by Google.

You should probably add other prefixes, such as FA (for auction), WTB (wanted to buy), OT (off topic), etc.

I believe it's generally considered poor form to use acronyms to define acronyms, particularly when they themselves have yet to be defined in the list (see also NG).

You might mention that some readers are incapable of seeing a reference to Norm or TNYW without flying into paroxysms of anti-brad nailer epithets.
It would not upset me to see certain fan sites mentioned in conjunction with Norm and TNYW.

I believe you mean CMT.

Doesn't have to be a dead blow. Doesn't even have to be a hammer. I refer you to the phrase "brogan maintenance" which, although brogan is probably no longer a well recognized name for shoe, means to kick it.
If you're going to mention "persuader" you might also include "Tennessee smoke wrench" or its variants, as synonymous with applied (perhaps injudiciously) heat (propane, MAPP, or acetylene).

I believe that's actually "surfaced four sides." Usually planed, less frequently sanded. Also, there are S2S and S3S variants.

Not enough "As"; count 'em. TANSTAAFL. Every rule of abbreviation, capitalization, or acronyming requires that if you count one of those you must count the other, or count neither, which renderes the acronym unpronouncable (in my view a principle tenet of acronyms)

Popularly known (at least by a couple of us) as "wood-dorking." Ask your kids or your wife or Tom.
What about "the wreck?" Although if one is here, one probably already knows that.
Maybe it's not the same as the old days, and the chief practitioner has wandered away, but at one time it was quite common to supplement any word which has an alternative Canuckistani spelling with a parenthetical rendering of that spelling including an aside to David (as in David Eisan, now, unfortunately, an infrequent visitor, but at one time perhaps the most successful fisherman on the wreck). e.g. "that's a nice color (colour, David)."
You can check (cheque, David) with other regulars on that.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
LRod wrote:

SOB! I miss that guy. :-(
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

That list keeps getting longer.
Duke of URL
Larry Jaques (NO C!)
Danny Priloux O'Deen / Paddy / Paddy Lac (the coiner of Scary Sharp?)
Conan the Librarian
Paul S.
Dave Fleming (the boat builder)
: : :
Fewer mentors - and less humor.
Thankfully, The Two Toms (Watson and Plamann) stop by once in a while.
charlie b

L Rod, Thanks for your input, I will include your suggestions in the near future. I guess I'll have to start giving this list a revision number and date Joe G

to see if he wrote it correctly. A 'cheque' is a separate word.

As the long suffering spouse of a genuine Canuckistani (from Ontario, too, no less), I should have known that. It may have gotten missed in the purge, though (she's been "below the border" for nearly 40 years now). I rarely hear her say "colour," "theatre," or "neighbour" anymore. And she hasn't said "chesterfield" in years.
I should have used a better example.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

I have printed out your post and glued it to the wall with a few brads to hold it until the glue dries. ( I of course took the time to read, understand and follow all of the safety rules that came with my nailer and didn't forget the most important safety rule of all, safety glasses)