accurate drilling

I do a lot of projects that require a bunch of drilling for hardware.
For me this the nerve wracking part of woodworking, I hate taking a file to massage my misaligned hardware holes. It seems all the hardware I choose can 't have easy measurements, like 2 inches between centers.
Does anyone make an adjustable drilling jig or can anyone suggest a book or web site that covers accurate hardware placement and drilling.
Thanks, John
John Pilhoefer wrote:

hardware.
It depends on how much you do. The problem goes away completely if you invest in a CNC router. If your volume doesn't justify that kind of a expenditure, find someone who already has one and have them cut drilling templates, either for entire workpieces or just for each piece of hardware with its own hole pattern.
This latter approach still requires that you carefully locate the template before drilling, but will ensure that all of the holes are in exact/correct relative positions. If I were to do this, I think I'd want the templates cut from 1/2" plywood and with appropriate holes for insertion of hardened drill bushings (like the one that LV sells).
If you have trouble finding someone who'll do that for a reasonable price, send me an e-mail with your location and I'll see if I can hook you up with someone who will.

Morris covered the mass hole drilling end of the subject. If you are talking 3 or 4 hinges for a project and are simply having trouble centering the holes with the holes for a piece of hardware considering getting a self centering Vix bit. This bit will use the hardware as the guide so that you can drill holes perfectly centered in the hardware holes.
Leon wrote:

Is that like me using a hole punch so I have an exact spot to place the bit?
Josie
I guess I should have given an example in my initial post.
My latest project is a cabinet with 12 pull handles. Of the 12 handles there are three different designs with 3 different hole patterns.
So I am drilling 24 holes. I use tape to mark placement of the holes and check measurements numerous times. After I drill I always find some of the holes are off. I have to take a file and elongate the holes to move the pulls up or down or side-to-side.
When the holes line up it's like bliss, they fit so snuggly. When I have to get the file out I wonder if I am still doing fine workmanship, I feel I should have been able to drill accurately in the first place.
Thanks for listening, John

John Pilhoefer wrote:

One answer--VIX self-centering bit...
Second answer--make alignment jig(s)
Third answer--there are a myriad of "self-centering" jigs for the precise purpose...
Find a cabinet supply house and look for a plastic template guide that is used just for what you describe.
I have even seen "simple" versions in Home Depot and Lowes.
Most of the major hardware guys offer these templates.
John Pilhoefer wrote:

Here is what I was referring to:
http://www.wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/GroupID/Cabinet%20Knobs%2C%20Pulls%20%26%20Handles/CatID/Templates%2C%20Marking/showprod/1
$21 is worth every penny.
John Pilhoefer wrote:

Thanks. I think that is what I was looking John

Sort of, but it will line up with the hole in the hinges.Not much help for drawer pulls. For hinges, I use a self centering punch that I bought over 30 years ago. It is tapered to line up in the hinge screw holes, a tap with a hammer and you have a place to set the drill.
For things like drawer pulls, it is worth taking the time to make up a template. Most times a flat sheet of plywood with a 90Degree stop glued or nail on one side to hang over the drawer front gives the constant height. You can put another stop on the side to get the centering.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Thanks! Josie
http://www.newdoors.com/prods/MT1.html
I have a similar set and worked great when I was putting on all the pulls on my sil's kitchen.
Bob S.

John Pilhoefer wrote:

Not a jig, but works for a few handles (the jig mentioned sounds good for multiple handles). Find two screws that fits the pull, cut the head off and chuck it in a drill and holding it to a grinder make a point where the head was. screw these into the pull and make a line where the handle is to be, measure where one screw is to be on that line and place one point there and the other on the line and press. This gives the right spacing marked by the indentations. A brad point bit helps center the hole on the mark. Sounds convoluted but works for me. -- Gerald Ross Cochran, GA
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge . . . others just gargle.
-
On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 15:50:47 GMT, "John Pilhoefer"

When I run several pieces that need to have the holes in the same locations, I usually cut a piece of 3/4" ply into an "L" shape, and clamp it to the drill press table. To make two holes, just use a spacer. Do a test on a piece of scrap to make sure things are set properly, and you're good to go. If you want to make sure they don't move, you can use one of these things, too.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid794
I suspect you can find these elsewhere for less $$$, but this is what a quick search turned up. They work really well.