accuracy problem with doweling jig

I have been using a small handheld doweling jig and can't get accurate alignment with it no matter what I do. It's close, and if the holes are reamed out an extra 64th the results are acceptable for what I'm doing, but there's always a joint or two that's about a 16th off. Could it just be an inferior tool, or maybe inherent in the design?
If its coming out 1/16 off, its surely an inferior tool.
On 26 Mar 2006 19:12:50 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Handheld? Perhaps you are shaking. Get a Stanley jig, or anything similar. I love my Stanley. Place the woods together, a few quick pencil marks across the join where I want the dowels to go, and it takes little time once the jig is set up. Hold the wood in a vice while drilling.
Guess who wrote:

I have 2 Stanley 59s. Both drill off center by 1/32" if you align with the scale on the tool. Not a big problem once you know about it, but I wouldn't give Stanley any brownie points for accuracy :-).
--
It's turtles, all the way down

I calibrated my Stanley 59 myself by filing in a new set of markings. It's pretty close now. But you're right, it wasn't great out of the box.
On 26 Mar 2006 19:12:50 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Second option. You might have one piece turned over and are matching the wrong sides. I have no problem with the Stanley, but you might want to pre-mark to match in case that is what is happening.

Could the bushing be worn? I use a DeWalt drill bit with that little pilot bit in the end. I find that gives me the least lateral stress on the guide bushing. A 32nd one way plus a 32nd the other way.. there's your 16th. Not hard to do if you're a bit heavy handed. I use a Stanley #59... never found one I like better.
I have seen a doweling jig that you held by hand as you drilled the holes. Chances are, if you are using that, the jig is slipping. Try clamping it.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Are you using brad-point bits?
If it's handheld, a regular bit might slide a bit because of the grain in the wood, and pull the jig with it... a brad point might help.
er
--
email not valid