Accountants as engineers - Ppppfffftt''

Page 3 of 3
Bingo!
what the answer is, but it may have something to do with longer

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 16:33:01 GMT, Murray Peterson

Or they see it as a calculated risk. Cheapen here, cheapen there and see what the market reaction is. They can always put them back, slap on a new logo and whip up a marketing campaign.
Latest Pop Woodworking has an aside talking about impending cost increases. Manufacturers know they can't always pass them on, or pass them on immediately - they must do it carefully. Cheapen the knobs might be a way, in a bean-counters eyes.
With any luck - there are a number of peer groups in an organization to keep the accountants in check. Just like the accountants nix ideas like titanium wheels with diamond studs.

Or - they get smart and try to course correct before Chapter 11/7.

It's the natural cycle. I'm OK with it. Suppose I'm capable of running a small shop that manufactures Router Bits. When Whiteside, CMT, Freud and Amana give me an opening - I'll take it.
It's an opportunity!

This is the typical product of what is euphemistically called "free market", but in reality is a greed-driven chaos: What to produce is not determined by the need for the product but by its marketability, which can be easily seen by the huge profits made with such utterly useles crap like ringing tones for portable phones, drugs or SUVs.

It will kill all of us, sooner or later...
"Juergen Hannappel" wrote in message

LOL ... except for my implied "we get what we deserve", that's pretty much what I was getting at. ;>)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Cheap, yes. Inexpensive, no.

Closest to 10 years back I could come up with is the Nov./Dec. 1992 issue of Fine Woodworking. There's a Tool Crib ad for a 3hp Unisaw with Biesmeyer fence for $1629 *after* a $100 rebate. (page 24) My current Tool Crib catalog lists today's comparable Unisaw at $1850.
Hardly double and really surprising given the 12 year span.

Fly-by-Night CC wrote:

cost down?     mahalo,     jo4hn
jo4hn wrote:

Not Owen but I personally think they've been subsidizing the Unisaw with the sale of other machines. Like Owen I can go back through past issues of magazines and find the full page machinery/tool seller's ads and track back a "sameish" price for at least ten years and maybe more.
As for sacrificing quality, yes the Unisaw has changed but it's been things like the morphing of the dust door until there was finally none, the changing of lock knobs from die cast with a chrome finish to plastic (plastique David) and of course the greatest crime of all the elimination of the cast iron plinth.
sigh...
As for the innards, there have been changes but nothing of the magnitude that allows for an easy explanation of why the saw hasn't kept up with the rate of inflation.
Now, there have been instances of bad quality control but that seems to be hit or miss. In other words, you can still buy a good Unisaw.
If anything the real change with the Unisaw has been it just ain't as classy as it once was.
UA100
RonB wrote:

The Unisaw has doubled in price over the last year?
UA100
RonB said:

Bean Counters, Lawyers, and Boards of Directors are destroying the world!
Greg G.

hour to pull 'em outta the bin. Then that $20 somebody thinks the employer owes them $12,000 worth of insurance to cover him, his spouse and every other blood relative just because he's a trained knob installer. And now our insured $20 knob installer gets a sliver skateboarding over the weekend, bides his pain till he gets to work on Monday reports for workmans comp because those knurls got slivers in the bin. Now knob installer is off for the next 3 months protected by the FMLA so the employer can't even replace him to keep production up but still collecting some kind of compensation for no work. Then Billybob & associates runs across Knob installers name in the insurance records and convinces him to sue the employer for an exorbitant amount of money for "compensation". Employer knows better than to argue with the insurance company recalling the same insurance company handled the "Miss Offended" case in the broke her nail office scandle of '02. Ponies up the cash and takes another shot on the chin. Just as he sits down thinking he's past this and may be able to keep the doors open one more month sits down to read the notice from those OSHA folks about the knurled knob saftey factor.......
Sigh EJ
Yes, we know that everyone (besides CEOs. of course) should work for 3 cents per hour with no benefits.

RonB wrote:

It's probably worth writing nasty letters to the company. The bean counters get away with this nonsense primarily because they convince the PHBs in management that no one notices. I'd be willing to bet there are people inside the company that would love to have angry letters from customers as confirmation that people DO notice -- and care.
--RC

It's sad. I see all kinds of cost-cutting efforts that sacrifice quality but Americans love cheap. I bought a Starrett Wade square last month for $165 (with compass and center finder), yet I know WalMart has the same thing for $12.95.
I have made all kinds of knobs from scraps of hardwood, make a hex hole into them, then epoxy a nut into the hold. Makes it much easier to tighten/loosen.

Starrett Wade? I know of Starrett and Garret-Wade.
The Wal*Mart job is probably OK for some work, but usually won't be as accurate, as easy to read, as smooth operating. Depends on how much you value that.

No, they don't. They might have something similar at that price, and less accurate (probably much less), but it won't be "the same thing" as a Starrett (assuming that's what you meant by "Starrett Wade").
Phisherman wrote:

Wally World may have squares, perhaps even with both compass and centerfinder, but I doubt it. They assuredly do not have Starretts, nor do they havew the acuracy, precision or smoothness of operation. Quality always costs more, and nothing but quality will do in certain circumstances. The cheap knock-off may be accurate if you are lucky, when you first get it it, but it will lack precision, and over time, lose its accuracy. It will always feel clunky.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
RonB wrote:

reductions' evident. I bet they lose $$ on each one.