accident waiting to happen

Hi Guys, I was busy with my eldest son (23) cutting some wide and long wood on my Inca Major saw table, I opened up the slide top to give me a bit more support, everything went great until I was finished sawing, my son who thought he was doing dad a favour, proceeded with great force to slide the top closed (while I was cleaning the table) without warning me! and yep the result one broken and crushed left hand ring finger! the lesson to be learned here is Communication! it did prove one thing though, he can run faster than I can! Eddie...

Reply to
Eddie

Nothing runs faster than the Last Will and Testament...

Reply to
jo4hn

We recently helped our son finish his house in Southern Missouri. He is a construction superintendent and some of his employees and construction friends helped with the project. I was astounded (read horrified) at the way these guys and some of the subs use power tools. For one thing nearly all (except our son) thought the table saw fence and miter gauge were optional for nearly anything but ripping.

The two young bucks who installed the cabinets were fast, accurate and virtually mindless in the way they used their circular and miter saws. I couldn't believe the number of times I watched one of them line up a cut on the miter saw and slam the blade down while looking in another direction.

On one occasion one of the installers was kneeling on a counter-top preparing to cut off a piece of MDF with a circular saw. Instead of taking a moment to reposition his body he reached behind himself to cut off the piece with a one-handed swipe. The weight of the saw was obviously over balancing his body. These guys were emergency room fodder.

On the other hand, I saw a video of Sam Maloof suspending a piece of long, walnut stock between his hip and outstretched hand while rounding it with a router. The Modern Masters commentator mentioned that was not a conventional shop practice. Sam grinned and admitted that they go through a few band-aids in the shop.

RonB

Reply to
RonB