Accentuating Quilted Maple

I'm building a jewelry box out of quilted maple for my daughter. I'm looking for stain/dye suggestions to accentuate the grain. As I understand it, using a colored shellac will also aid the process.
Thanks for the help.
~Mark.
Might I suggest going to you tube and looking for Charles Neils excellent video on dealing with quilted maple.
He shows you how to make it really pop. I did it his way and was astounded how great it looked.
On 12/6/2010 3:07 PM, Woody wrote:

I am having trouble locating the original video that Charles produced. In it he basically tells you to dye, sand, dye, sand, dye, sand until you get the desired effect. Most of us would never sand after putting on a finish, but with this method he shows how the soft wood keeps absorbing in a controlled env, by sanding off the hard wood since the soft has absorbed the finish it gets darker further beneath.
I'm still looking for a link for you.
On 12/6/2010 3:07 PM, Woody wrote:

Since the video by Neils seems hard to come by, try this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx8mp3Ag36s

This may have been the video by Neil that was mentioned in the other posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWCptCxNx4I

Deb

it could have been, but when I watched it earlier it didn't seem like it. But watching again, maybe
On 12/6/2010 5:18 PM, Dr. Deb wrote:

On 12/6/2010 5:18 PM, Dr. Deb wrote:

Thanks, will do.

I have done a fair amount of work with quilted maple. I bought about 150 board feet of reject quilted maple for $50. I used it up and bought a second lot. The finish that I use on most of my projects is linseed oil, polyurethane, and turpentine mix. I wet sand using the finish as lubricant starting with 240 working up to 600. I usually finish with a paste wax. The oil seems to pop the finish. I don't usually use dyes or stains. Some example of my maple work can be seen at:
http://ray80538.home.comcast.net/~ray80538/Woodwork/woodwork.html
Sometimes photography exaggerates the finish, sometimes it understates.

Ray, you mention buying some wood from a mill in port angeles. I assume you mean Port Angeles, Washington. That is my home town, I was born there in 1950. That was before the present hospital was built. The old hospital is now the present YMCA.
Any way, what is the name of that saw mill? I have lots of relatives who work in sawmills and an uncle who owned one.
There is some good looking stuff on your website. Love the quilted maple and the wooden toys.
On Tue, 7 Dec 2010 13:13:57 -0500, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

I am not sure that I ever knew the name of the mill. It is on S Fey road. North side of 101 about 5 miles east of PA. The owner is a real nice guy. Thanks for the compliment.