AC motor question.

I just got a WEG Brazilian brand motor on eBay. It's new but was manufactured 3 years ago. Instruction states that if stored for two years bearings must be replaced or grease changed or grease must be totally replaced. Also capacitors must be replaced. If I do all of the above cost of the motor will probably triple.

Motor runs but seems to be underpowered for it's rating - NEMA 1.5HP

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Reply to
Alex

If it turns freely with no signs of binding that is good. I have equipment with grease that is 10-20 years old and they work ok,

If it starts then the capacitors are doing their job. Capacitors are for starting not running. If it seems underpowered then it is underpowered or you are expecting too much. What is the application?

Jim B.

Reply to
Jim Behning

This motor is on a belt grinder. I shouldn't be able to stall it easily accordingly to other users. But I can. Some one suggested it might be my circuitry and wiring. I have original 1927 wiring in my house. Is it any way I can check if my wiring can handle the load? I have a multimeter.

Can it be that I wired motor wrong?

Thanks, Alex

Jim Behn>

or grease

Reply to
Alex

Capacitors may also be for running - depends on the design of the motor. On most single phase woodshop sized tools, there is only a start capacitor.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

My motor:

for Catalog Number: 00158ES1BF56C

I thinks it's just a start capacitor.

Reply to
Alex

If this is a 120/240 motor be sure you are wired to run at 120 volt. Usually the start circuit has a centrifugal switch to take the start capacitor out of the circuit, be sure it is operating.

Mike M

replaced or grease

Reply to
Mike M

I stand corrected. The few motors I have messed with have what appeared to be starting capacitors. Once again never trust unconfirmed posts.

Jim B.

Reply to
Jim Behning

Disclaimer: only attempt this if you are familiar with safe electrical test procedures.

Set the meter to measure AC volts, and check the voltage at the receptacle where the motor is plugged in: should be 115-125 V. Check with the motor off, running, and under load (but not to the point of stalling). If you see the voltage fall below 110 V, the circuit is probably inadequate.

Reply to
kkfitzge

Hey, I learned the hard way. I spent five years getting an electrical engineering degree. I didn't learn anything practical like this until the second semester of my senior year when I had a course on motors and electrical gadgets.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

Reply to
Alex

That would be a _bad_ sign of voltage drop, where a momentary dim on startup might be just an annoyance. Time to review the wiring.

Reply to
George

Yes, this is a sign of overloaded and potentially dangersous wiring. Call a licensed electrician.

Reply to
kkfitzge

When motor starting my meter shows 70V momentarily(not sure if it's a true reading) then goes blank for a second then 108V and stays there while motor is running with no load.

Time to call an electrician I guess.

Thanks, Alex

George wrote:

Reply to