Abrasive balls & Silky smooth seats...

Anyone here have any experience with a sanding device that uses a rotating drum of abrasive balls to smooth wooden furniture - chairs specifically? It would be like attaching a piece of wood to the inside of the clothes dryer door, filling the inside with "abrasive balls", and then turning it on - the balls then falling into the wood and smoothing it. Great idea - but how well does it work?

JP

TeamCasa

Nope. I've used such things for fettling steel forgings and I can't imagine them working on timber.

You need a workpiece with a high resistance to impact and a low resistance to abrading the edges. Otherwise you just dent it on the bits you're trying to preserve. The media need a certain weight to be effective and the bigger they are the more dents they make. For timber this would need an awful lot of light media - there was a guy in FWW who was using a grain elevator for this - about three carloads of grain was enough to texture a board.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Or - Are you talking about the tumblers that machinist or gun re-loaders use to polish small metal parts? I've used Walnut shells as the medium.

Dave

Teamcasa

I saw one demonstration at a wood machinery show in Toronto. They weren't rotating those drums, they were agitating them with resonant frequencies. The chair just sinks into the drum (Different drums with different sized balls) like it's quicksand, operating very much on the principles of quicksand. I saw one demonstration at a wood machinery show in Toronto. The operation looked pretty damned slick, I tell ya. The machine was about 2 mortgages long by 4 mortgages wide by 3 mortgages high. It would take a couple of mortgages to fill the machine with balls.

That's a game for the big boys.

Reply to
Robatoy